Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#51 11-17-2005 09:35:50

juiceland

Re: Product/category/page Name In Page Title

Hi all,

Ive managed to update the above changes but am having a problem not mentioned here.

The meta description is pulling in the text from the product page. Unfortunately for me, our products pages contain specifications first - which are appearing in the meta description. The truncuate mod doesnt help in this scenario. You can view the situation on my website by selecting any product.

Is there a way to bypass the specifications and include the rest of the description or if we could populate it with the 'short description' instead of the long one. If so, what is the CGIVAR code for 'short description'?

I have no idea how to code but I can copy and paste very well so any help is greatly appreciated smile

Kind Regards

John

- Professional Juicers, Blenders, Sprouters, Dehydrators, Water Coolers wheatgrass and other health related products available to buy online.

#52 01-22-2006 17:23:16

beaudha
Website

I just found and added this mod to my code but am having the same problem as lake.

on the product pages, when viewing the source I just see:

Code:

<META NAME="description" CONTENT="">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="">

and the additional information that I would expect to see in the title does not appear either... it's still the same as ever. (I think this is what lake was trying to communicate as well... although she may have been misinterpreted  ;-) )

I fairly confidant I'm not adding the code wrong because I have double and triple checked myself with all the examples here and I rarely have problems following directions  wink  but I'm thinking the code may not account for some other change I might have made elsewhere.

I don't want to paste the pl code on this thread again for brevity sake (I assure you it looks just like all the examples given already) but for those interested I will paste what my ste_layout headers look like

Code:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="(CGIVAR)admin_generator_meta_text(/CGIVAR)">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="(CGIVAR)html_desc_text(/CGIVAR)">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="(CGIVAR)html_keywords_text(/CGIVAR)">
<STYLE TYPE="text/css"> 

A:link {text-decoration: none} 
A:active {text-decoration: none} 
A:visited {text-decoration: none}
A:hover {text-decoration: underline}
</STYLE>

<TITLE>(CGIVAR)html_title_bar_text(/CGIVAR)</TITLE>
</HEAD>

I don't think the ste_layout is really what is causing this however...

my guess would be that it either has something to do with the if statement just above where the mod is pasted

Code:

$element_id = "$page_id";

if ($page_id =~ /^ste_nolay_/) {

&display_print($page_id);

} else {

####### Mod begins here...

or perhaps there was something in the product detail display element I removed while formating it to my liking that this mod needs in order to function properly. although I wouldn't see why that would be the case either seeing as the code appears to be pulling strait from the DB itself.

a little further background:

I am using tiki ver 5.1.7 and have never done an upgrade from an earlier version. I also have no other 3rd party mods other than a few code fixes I have found on this forum.

So all I can come up with is that somehow the code itself is not running because the if statement is always returning a true value rather than carrying on to the } else {

I'm still pretty new to this software however and so I'm just speculating really. I'll keep poking around in the code and let you all know if I come up with anything but in the mean time, any additional input would be greatly valued!

p.s. I am also not using any static pages and would like to avoid having to... so this mod is going to be very important... if I can just get it to work!

#53 01-22-2006 17:44:18

beaudha
Website

oh, I should also mention that I did notice one parallel between my site and lake's (given the link she provided)... we are both displaying the add to cart buttons on our product category pages.

might this have some bearing on how the code for this mod is working (or not working as it were)?

ok... well maybe not... as I was typing this out I decided to test the theory by returning everything to the default display format without the add to cart and still no dice.

#54 01-22-2006 19:59:54

beaudha
Website

ok... not quite sure what I did but the mod now appears to be working.

(note to lake... try re-uploading all your files in your cgi-bin including the modded ste_exec.pl and see if that works... it's really the only thing I can think that I did to cause it to start working)

now that it is working though I have a few more questions to ask..

here is the header source code from one of my product pages:

Code:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="ClickCartPro Version 5.1 http://www.clickcartpro.com/">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="     Herbs and Sacraments is proud to provide one of the largest online herbs catalog.  With over 250 different herbs available from our inventory, we...">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="herb Chacruna Wild Coffee Psychotria Viridis Ayhuasca">
<STYLE TYPE="text/css"> 

A:link {text-decoration: none} 
A:active {text-decoration: none} 
A:visited {text-decoration: none}
A:hover {text-decoration: underline}
</STYLE>

<TITLE>Herbs: Chacruna (Wild Coffee) At Herbs and Sacraments</TITLE>
</HEAD>

first thing I noticed here was that the meta "description" is from this product's category description rather than the product_desclong as I was expecting to see. also you might notice there is a tabbed white space there (that seems to be the result of some html coding I have in the category description) its no big deal I was just wondering if anyone knows how that might effect the search engines.

and finally, in my product tables I, by default, did not do any comma delimiting to the product_keywords field... if I go back now and add commas is this going to affect the search function of my site at all?

thanks again for any insight you might be able to provide!

Board footer