Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 10-15-2003 01:19:51

thekiko

Use Moveabletype Within Ccp

Ok, I checked to see if anyone has posted this yet and couldn't find anything.  It's really too simple to do so I am sure most of you have figured this out already... but here goes.

I needed a way to post news concerning new products and show appearances within my CCP installation and I had previous experience with  blog software so I devised a way to get them to work together.  I chose MT software because it was easy to install and ran in MySQL (like CCP).  So I installed MT on my server and made sure it was functioning correctly.

My next step was to get CCP prepped to recognize a Moveable Type output file as an Element.  So I went into to my CCP admin [HTML Pages & Elements>Manage Site Elements>Click here to insert an item into the database] and created a new element called "ste_news".  This creates a file called “ste_news.txt” that lives in your ccp51/data/elements directory.

Now I needed to get Moveable Type to write to that “ste_news.txt” file.  So I logged into MT, navigated to the appropriate news account and entered the management area.  Using the left nav I selected “Templates” which took me to the page that lists the various templates that my MT outputs to.  Now all I had to do at that point is create a template that outputs to the “ste_news.txt” file, so I clicked on the “Create new index template” link and filled in the appropriate information with the most important field being the “Output File” in which you must input the full server path to the ste_news.txt file.  Here is an example:

/home/your_account/www/ccp51/data/elements/ste_news.txt

Another thing to keep in mind with regards to the new MT template you are creating, is the Template Body.  It is probably a good idea to simply copy the original “Main Index” template but it is important to make sure that you remove all of the <html>,<head>,<body>,<div>... etc. tags.  CCP already handles all of these tags so if you don’t remove them you will get a big mess of a page.  Just make sure that you have the necessary <MT____> tags in there and you will be alright.

Now in order for the store to utilize the new “ste_news” element, you need to call it from within your Splash (Welcome) Page [HTML Pages & Elements>Manage HTML Pages (System)].  Include this line anywhere on the page (CGIGET TYPE="ELEMENT" VALUE="ste_news")

To see an example of how I have it implemented in my store go here .

Hope this helps anyone out.

Thekiko

TheKiko

#2 10-15-2003 07:55:45

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Use Moveabletype Within Ccp

That's an awesome hack.  Thanks for posting it.  Is your site still experiencing very hevy volume, and if so, how's CCP handling it?  Have there been any adverse affects from your removal of the lock code?

Nick Hendler

#3 10-15-2003 09:34:40

EagleWolf

Thats very cool, thanks!

Chris
<a href='mailto:webmaster@equivity.com'>webmaster@equivity.com</a>
-

#4 10-15-2003 10:52:22

thekiko

webmaster,10/15/2003 07:55:45 AM wrote:

That's an awesome hack.  Thanks for posting it.  Is your site still experiencing very hevy volume, and if so, how's CCP handling it?  Have there been any adverse affects from your removal of the lock code?

I have pounded it with traffic from the 6th largest videogaming site on the web, and my site ran like a champ.  There was an obvious hit to the speed, but it was certainly negligable.

Thekiko

TheKiko

#5 06-28-2004 09:30:31

bertyUK

Thanks thekiko for an excellent mod.

I've taken the idea a stage further, by using Movable Type's multiple outputs to link to a series of articles on miniDV and Digital Video on my main site. It's pretty easy to do, and the results can be seen on my site here:

If anyone is interested I can post some intructions on how to do this. Full credit to thekiko for the original idea.

Board footer