Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 01-18-2021 07:32:41

ElectroSpares

ICO Information Commissioners Office

Had a letter from ICO  (ico.org.uk)  saying as we store Customer Names and Address details we will be required to pay a yearly fee to cover Data Protection obligations here in the UK.

I presume we come under both a data controller and a data processor ??

Letter seems legit anyone else had to pay this ??

#2 01-18-2021 09:32:19

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: ICO Information Commissioners Office

This is the first I've heard of something like this.  Sounds like a scam.  We receive similar domain registration fee letters here.  Verify it's legitimacy.  Their site says they're an independent organization.

Currently you're subject to regulations concerning opt-outs and removal of data upon request, and K9 is fully compliant in those regards.  On data protection, we've seen Amazon protect personal identifiable information (PII), and they now require data encryption at rest and data purging.  Our 9.1.0 version supports these new requirements, and I can see this type of data protection needing to be extended to data from other channels, as well as into the default online store, at some point in the future.  We're not there yet, though.

Nick Hendler

#3 01-18-2021 12:00:42

ElectroSpares

Further research looks like this is legit, another UK Government stealth TAX. 

https://www.gov.uk/data-protection-regi … sonal-data

#4 01-19-2021 09:42:00

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Perhaps it is legitimate.  I wonder, though, if the request from ico.org.uk is legitimate, or if you might need to pay this using gov.uk.  Either way, please check with your accountant first to be sure the tax isn't being remitted in some other fashion - like on quarterly or annual returns.

Nick Hendler

#5 01-26-2021 15:19:55

Graham
Website

Protection fee, or protection racket... :-(

#6 02-23-2021 06:20:34

Panmanjon
Website

I have received the same letter from ICO - have treated it as a scam so far but am making some investigations

Board footer