Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 09-06-2017 08:41:29

zanart

Duplicate confirmation email when paid with Paypal

Hi Nick
I have always had this problem, intermittently, and have always assumed it was something to do with paypal.

I have now noticed in V9 that I get a confirmation with the total like this:
Item Subtotal Exc VAT     £ 74.79
Delivery Exc VAT     £ 0.00
VAT     £ 14.96
Total     £ 89.75

then a few seconds later I get a confirmation that also shows the payment and zero balance:
Item Subtotal Exc VAT     £ 74.79
Delivery Exc VAT     £ 0.00
VAT     £ 14.96
Total     £ 89.75
Payment     -£ 89.75
Balance Due     £ 0.00

It doesn't happen every time.

Any idea why it does this, and why the second email shows the extra lines. It would appear the first email is being sent before the paypal payment has been applied.

Rob

#2 09-07-2017 11:43:58

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Duplicate confirmation email when paid with Paypal

This is a double-post back from PayPal, either caused by network latency, load on your server, or a wacky customer clicking away.  Nothing to worry about.  It is the same mail message being sent, right?  Other than the payment lines, these are both internal emails?  Also, when you update to 9.0.2, monitor as to whether or not this goes away.  I believe I have a change in 9.0.2 that combats this to some effect.

Nick Hendler

#3 09-07-2017 12:10:25

zanart

Definitely the same internal email. I will monitor paypal and run some tests as I have also had an increase in duplicate payments. A few customers have said they received an error message when returning to K9 so processed order again, only to find the first order had gone through. This is only a tiny percentage so not really worried.

Rob

#4 09-07-2017 23:14:34

Iceit88
Website

I would love to find out why this is happening too.  Having the same problem as Zanart above, using CCP8. I have about 1 order every 3 days that tells the customer the "payment could not be processed" and the customer repeats the order only to find out that both orders completed succesfully.

Bryan

Hat Trick Sports, LLC

#5 09-08-2017 06:49:02

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Are you both taking a large number of PayPal orders daily?  Or do these incidents represent a large portion of your orders?  This typically happens with simultaneous POSTS from the PayPal IPN system, sometimes with the customer browser doing an unexpected double POST, delays in sending mail on the server, and other weird things that are hard to track down.  It happens with relay-based systems like PayPal, kind of the nature of the beast when you're relaying the customer browser from site to site and using silent posts in the background.

Version 9.0.2 (which we're about to publish) cures this on the K9 platform by logging payment receipt and doing order updates immediately on POST-back, instead fully completing all order processing then updating the order in the database.  It updates the order and payment info again after all processing to catch all updates.

Nick Hendler

#6 09-08-2017 08:37:01

zanart

Duplicate emails are received often, and normally occur in batches, i.e. I get duplicate emails for 3 hours, and then only one email for the next 10 hours. No rhythm to it.

I get duplicate payments due to failed payments messages 1-2 times every few days, and that would be 1-2 every 100 paypal transactions, so it is a small percentage.

Of course, it is possible customers get the failed payment message more often, but some customers are intelligent enough to check their email to find the order/payment was successful before resubmitting the order.

Rob

#7 09-08-2017 10:37:34

Iceit88
Website

Similar to Zanart, though I would estimate 1 of every 20 this happens.  We do not do a ton of orders per day that it should be a volume issue.  I also notice that these seem to occur in batches together then not again for a few days.  Have talked with customers and it does not seem to matter if using Mobile vs PC, time of day, etc.  Seems very random.
I also notice that sometimes the order does not get marked as paid in CCP8 and the order confirmation is not sent to me and the buyer.  I usually get a PayPal payment notification email, but no order confirmation.  This almost always happens when there is also a prior pending order too (as if they started, stopped, and began again or had an entry error during checkout?).  When you go into the BOM it usually shows 2 or more pending payment orders rather than 1 pending and 1 paid-ready to ship.

Bryan

Hat Trick Sports, LLC

#8 09-11-2017 07:56:56

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Thank you for all the information.  On the surface, this seems like either (1) a load issue on each of your servers, perhaps causing slow processing in general, or slow mail processing, and allowing a double-email window; or (2) an issue on the PayPal side sending simultaneous post backs.  However, I do think 9.0.2 combats either scenario, and that is pending release.  And we will keep monitoring.

Nick Hendler

Board footer