Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 06-07-2017 04:55:59

sdn

ET Can't Phone Home

As instructed (Enter the telephone number for the site owner below), we added our phone number in the standard UK format to "Dashboard / System / Component / Settings / Site Information" with spaces and no international dialling prefix.

The number is displayed correctly but the "<a href="tel://" link did not work and caused a validation error.

I found a page at https://developers.google.com/web/funda … k-to-call/ that formats the link as

<a href="tel:+1-303-499-7111">+1 (303) 499-7111</a>

The spaces are replaced by dashes (or simply removed) and // is not used.

My dirty fix was to replace the //' . $phone . ' part of the code

print 'Telephone: <a href="tel://' . $phone . '">' . $phone . '</a>' . $eol;

in skinwidget_companyinfo.php with our international number without any spaces or dashes.

The link now works and the validation error is gone plus our phone number still displays correctly.

Maybe you could provide a more elegant fix to 9.02.

It is simple enough to strip out the spaces but we prefer to show both our domestic phone number and international numbers separately to avoid confusion so our link would be in the format

<a href="tel:+1-303-499-7111">0303 499-7111 (int'l +1 303 499-7111)</a>

Maybe the telephone number should be entered in three separate fields in dashboard - international dialling code, area code (without 0 prefix) and number. That would allow it to be correctly formatted in all places including <span property="telephone">.

Last edited by sdn (06-07-2017 05:55:15)

Simon

#2 06-07-2017 08:20:32

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: ET Can't Phone Home

Interesting.  Thanks for reporting this.  Perhaps the way to go is adding one more setting for the phone number to use strictly in links with instructions on how to properly format that number.  When I looked into this, it seemed to like any numbers with dashes or periods, and the area code enclosed in parenthesis seemed OK, but that was it.  Should have looked more into international numbers.  Do you agree this approach would solve your dilemma?

Nick Hendler

#3 06-07-2017 11:35:02

sdn

Yes, that would also work although I am not clear how the property="telephone" should be formatted (domestic or international number).

None of the href="tel: link variations I saw had parenthesis in them. The text is pretty much what you would enter into you mobile to make an international call i.e. the country code and the area code without the zero prefix.

If you used the existing field for the frontend display, users could add anything they like i.e. just their domestic number or domestic and international so I suppose that makes your approach more flexible.

Simon

#4 06-09-2017 08:48:23

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I'll do it that way.  The format for the tel: link is exactly what you would type in your phone.  That entry simply feed's into the phone's dialing interface.

Nick Hendler

Board footer