Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 04-29-2014 11:37:20

sdn

Making the checkout process "look" less ardous

There are 25 visible fields, check boxes, etc. to complete on the address entry section of the checkout process. Friend and family site testers have commented along the lines "Have I really got to fill out all those boxes" (and they only do it as they claim to like me!).

I have thought of 2 possible solutions to making it "look" less arduous:

1. Hide the delivery address fields and only have them appear if the "Deliver items to my Delivery Address entered below" radio button is set (with text changed to "Deliver items to a different address").

2. Have 2 check boxes (like on other sites I have used):

Checkbox Option 1: "Deliver to same address" Either does nothing on checking and leaves the delivery address fields hidden or reveals and populates the delivery fields with the billings address.

Checkbox Option 2: "Deliver to a different address". When checked the delivery address fields are shown so they can be completed by the customer (preferably with the PostcodeAnywhere link as previously requested).

Do you have any thoughts on which is best and advice on how to implement it.

Last edited by sdn (04-30-2014 02:41:50)

Simon

#2 04-29-2014 17:18:23

Graham
Website

Re: Making the checkout process "look" less ardous

sdn wrote:

1. Hide the delivery address fields and only have them appear if the "Deliver items to my Delivery Address entered below" radio button is set (with text changed to "Deliver items to a different address").

I'd certainly agree with this, it's something I've thought too.

There's no need to have the Delivery Address boxes in there if it's the same as the Billing Address and it would cut down on the page size which is a good thing to help avoid abandoned carts.

#3 04-30-2014 03:45:57

sdn

Having thought about this more my preferred choice is the checkbox option:

Checkbox Option 1: "Deliver to same address (details are editable)"
===================================================
Reveals and populates the delivery fields with the billing address details.

The advantage of this option is that the user could then edit the delivery fields to change, for example, the recipients name. Useful if they want to address it to a family member or work colleague at the same address.

This also saves the customer time by not having to fill the delivery address fields all over again with near identical data (especially as there is no postcode lookup to help).

Checkbox Option 2: "Deliver to a different address"
=======================================
If the delivery address it completely different then they will have to populate it themselves (again adding postcode lookup here would make this task less arduous).

Having no delivery address fields visible when the form is first presented will make it look far less intimidating.

How we do this in practice?

Last edited by sdn (04-30-2014 04:06:09)

Simon

#4 04-30-2014 10:47:09

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Should be doable with jQuery in the skin.  Onload, hide the delivery form divs if 'Deliver to a different address' is unchecked, then flip visibility on the divs when the field changes.

Nick Hendler

#5 05-01-2014 02:13:27

sdn

Thanks.

At the moment I will just concentrate on the guest checkout form.

Do I need to change /core/CORE/includes/formfield_billshipadd.php?

Last edited by sdn (05-01-2014 06:46:09)

Simon

#6 05-01-2014 10:02:54

webmaster
Administrator
Website

That include is used for both the create account and guest account billshipadd field, so yes, if you're adding JS as recommended.

Nick Hendler

#7 05-02-2014 07:20:24

sdn

Thanks.

I only discovered this file because it appeared in a debug report as having an error. I have not made any changes to it yet but would like to rectify the problem before I start. The error is

CORE_Error::error: Non-fatal error encountered: Undefined variable: formid File: /core/CORE/includes/formfield_billshipadd.php Line: 86

line 86 is

$js_docready  = 'billShipAddressChange({\'formid\': \'' . $formid . '\', \'changetype\': \'' . $name . '\'});';

Can you advise how to find and fix this problem please.

Last edited by sdn (05-02-2014 07:22:47)

Simon

#8 05-02-2014 09:44:12

webmaster
Administrator
Website

You must have removed it:

Code:

$formfields_ajax_function = $this->globals('core.formfields_ajax_function');

$formid  = $this->globals('core_form.formid');
$inputid = $this->globals('core_form.field.id');

Nick Hendler

#9 05-02-2014 10:08:26

sdn

I have not touched this file yet. It is dated 21/11/13.

That code is there on lines 102, 104, 105.

Any other ideas?

Could it relate to a change made elsewhere?

Last edited by sdn (05-02-2014 10:10:51)

Simon

#10 05-05-2014 09:25:52

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Not sure on this.  I'll take a look - I've already made a note to review this post when doing dev.

Nick Hendler

#11 03-30-2015 11:41:23

larry

We would REALLY like to have the code from the above discussion, both for the Guest checkout and for the Account  creation/modification section of the checkout.

We've had many occasions where the customer enters an alternate address on the Guest checkout form, but neglects to click the radio button for the alternate address.  The order comes through with the wrong address and most times is not caught before completing the order.

In the Account section where an alternate address is entered in the "delivery address" section, the radio button defaults to the ORIGINAL address not the new address just entered.   It makes no sense to enter a new address then have to choose it again to get it applied to the order.

Has anyone solved the above problems?  We'd love to have your solution.

Thanks!

Laurie Stephens

#12 03-30-2015 15:56:25

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Versions 8.0.4 and 8.0.8 addressed various browser/checkout issues.  Update your software to 8.0.8 and you should be good to go.

Nick Hendler

#13 03-30-2015 16:42:58

larry

We're running 8.0.8 and have been for quite some time.  Neither of these issues seem to be addressed or maybe I don't have the right settings.

Our biggest issue is the radio button on the Guest checkout page.   If the customer enters a ship-to address but doesn't click the radio button, then the ship-to address is ignored.  The customer assumes it is on the order, but it is not.    Same with the address book via "ship to an alternate address" on the checkout pages.  The customer assumes since they entered a new address it would be used on this order, but it is not, unless they select it from the address book list.

It is all quite confusing to the customer, and I'm just looking for a solution.

Thanks!

Laurie Stephens

#14 03-30-2015 17:29:57

webmaster
Administrator
Website

What suggestion would you have for someone who enters a different address but selects to ship to their billing address?

Nick Hendler

#15 03-30-2015 18:24:51

larry

If they enter an address in the ship-to during checkout, they intend to use it, otherwise why enter it?   If it is left blank, then the ship-to is automatically the bill-to address.

The radio button is unnecessary and redundant.  but it is also stops the customers intent.

Last edited by larry (03-30-2015 18:28:18)

Laurie Stephens

#16 03-30-2015 19:36:47

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Interesting.  Any other takes on this?  I like the approach, Larry.  With the next version we'll be releasing you'll see many things simplified because the nature of the web and design has moved that way.

I'd like to know what other users think about giving the customer an option to select billing/shipping (which Larry identified as not being optimal) VS giving them a shipping address area to enter an address into (if the address is completely input, it would be used, if incomplete an error would throw, if empty billing would be used).

Nick Hendler

#17 03-31-2015 03:15:45

sdn

I did not realise you could enter an address in the delivery section and it would be ignored unless you changed the radio button. That's a good way to annoy people, lose sales or send goods to the wrong address. Can that be rectified now?

I go back to my original suggestion above where two checkboxes are used...

Checkbox Option 1: "Deliver to same address (details are editable)"
===================================================
Reveals and populates the delivery fields with the billing address details.

The advantage of this option is that the user could then edit the delivery fields to change, for example, the recipients name. Useful if they want to address it to a family member or work colleague at the same address.

This also saves the customer time by not having to fill the delivery address fields all over again with near identical data (especially as there is no postcode lookup to help).

Checkbox Option 2: "Deliver to a different address"
=======================================
If the delivery address it completely different then they will have to populate it themselves (again adding postcode lookup here would make this task less arduous).

In the event that neither is selected then the billing address is used for delivery (as Larry suggests).

Last edited by sdn (03-31-2015 06:49:05)

Simon

#18 03-31-2015 06:55:43

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Interesting.  Any other takes?  Larry, how do you feel about sdn's recommendation?

Nick Hendler

#19 03-31-2015 09:41:45

Iceit88
Website

Had a call with a Google Website Design Optimization staff member about 2 weeks ago, and his biggest concerns was the checkout process and design.  This is a newer department at Google he said that focuses on getting more conversions for websites.  One of his biggest faults/ recommendations was our checkout process.  He suggested making the Guest Checkout button much more prominent and easy to find (especially when not logged in)-place it first on the page, decreasing unneeded and repetitive fields in the address input page, getting rid of excess text and "the appearance of a busy complicated page", and moving the email field below the contact and address fields to provide more customer trust.   These all seemed like good suggestions, so I am definitely on board with the above suggestions too as they would be helpful.  Customers don't read pages, they scan... and if it appears busy, complex, and hard they will abandon the cart.

Bryan

Hat Trick Sports, LLC

#20 03-31-2015 09:55:32

larry

I like SDN's solution.  That would be great for the Guest Checkout. 

Might I add:  Shorten and squeeze the form so that it fits on 1 screen.  Currently I have to scroll down to see it all, and there is a lot of dead space between entry items on the page.    I have a BIG monitor, and I still have to scroll.
I think putting the labels on the left, and the fields on the right with minimal dead space between would solve most of the problem.  Then we can use CSS to control size.

On the regular checkout address change, if there is ANY way to let them enter and address and use it immediately instead of going to the "address book" function, that would be perfect.

Thanks!

Laurie Stephens

#21 03-31-2015 10:09:45

sdn

I agree with Iceit88 that the whole shopping cart / checkout process needs an overhaul. I have already changed the order of CheckoutIntro (not perfect but better).

In other posts I have suggested:

Shopping cart (not checkout) should show correct tax and selectable delivery options based on the user selecting their country from a dropdown box. The shipping estimator is just confusing our customers.

The reason for this is because the PayPal Express checkout never shows the correct total order value when you login. You are expected to login to PayPal and only then do you get told how much you are spending and get to select the delivery method you want.

If you pay by card, you have to fill a form to find out these details which is again a roadblock for many people.

Basically give it all to them in the Shopping Cart before you start asking for personal details.

Maybe Kryptronic could work with Google Website Design Optimization to make the perfect shopping cart solution. How do you contact them?

Last edited by sdn (03-31-2015 10:47:24)

Simon

#22 04-01-2015 06:49:56

webmaster
Administrator
Website

A good number of display issues are being handled with the move to a responsive layout in the next version.  Think cleaner and less space/text.  Think mobile first, formatted for tablet/desktop when applicable.

I'm interested here in the comments concerning making checkout easier to use and what everybody wants to see.

There are just as many reasons to collect user info prior to providing accurate totals (get customer invested, get them into checkout, ensure totals are right) as there are to present that info in the cart (totals would be estimates, but accessible without starting checkout).  Comments?

Nick Hendler

#23 04-01-2015 09:51:05

zanart

I have reduced my checkout page to this:
http://www.myframer.co.uk/media/ecom/images/checkout.PNG
which works for me.
It is responsive on mobiles and all the boxes will be the same height.

The problem is everybodys needs are different.

I found the structure of the checkout page difficult  to move around without hacking the software.

Hopefully the ability to move stuff around will be built into the next release.

Also, I would love the discount code to be entered at an earlier stage so that prices throughout the website are displayed at the discounted price(assuming the discount is percentage based.)

Rob

Rob

#24 04-02-2015 06:49:55

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Nice.  Is that a V7 install?  I ask because of the continue to secure payment button.  In V8 I would imagine the CC form would be there.  Very nice work.

The problem is everybodys needs are different.

This is a very valid point.  The software has to account for 100% of the functionality available, whether you use it or not.  Think multiple shipping addresses, split shipments, multiple checkout form fields activated, etc.

Nick Hendler

#25 04-02-2015 07:58:08

zanart

no, V8.

I use the SagePay (Protx) - Payment Form which directs to the sagepay website so no form is displayed.

Rob

Board footer