Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 02-16-2013 00:10:42

tony
Website

Shipping weight question

Forgive me if this sounds dumb but it would be useful? Has any one figured out a system to the realtime shipping. I wanted to come up with a system so I can set the shipping up. You have (1)weight (2)length (3)Width (4)Height - At what weight does it icrease and how much. At what length does it increase and how much. At what width does it increase and by how much. And height. I cant seem to get any system that works. Each product is a guessing game. I thought I would ask to see if anyone else has had any luck.  I have alot of oversized dimensional weight items and setting the real size and weight is not enough.

#2 02-16-2013 03:35:06

121NetDesign

Re: Shipping weight question

Hi Tony,

We use UPS realtime here in th UK. We have a great relationship with them and we have had one their tech guy's spend time tweaking Europacart.

We have found the only way that works is ignore the dimensional settings, but only use the weight. However, not the actual weight but the volumetric weight.

Length x Width x Height / 5000 (in cm to give results in Kg)

This gives us a good result when the cart communicates with UPS to get the rate. We also have added a percentage to the rate returned.

Hope that helps!

Tommy

121 Net Design

Last edited by 121NetDesign (02-16-2013 03:39:15)

Tommy Lee

#3 02-16-2013 14:49:13

tony
Website

This sounds interesting. We cant seem to get the right amount now as the length width and height are required entries and it will not let us just add weight only. We can get under the rate we want and over the rate but cant seem to get near the required amount. We can if we make the weight of a 2 lb item 22 lbs with certain size but then I think it adds multiples too fast and the amount for multiple products is way off too much. We will never get an order this way.

It jumps over the amount we want or need. Can anyone help us more. I have been working on this for several months and cant seem to get it.

#4 02-16-2013 15:47:05

tony
Website

Is there a way to make the size not required. We must enter a size or it errors. I cant try the volumetric size if it requires both size and weight. Can I control this as it sounds like has been done at least once on the europacart site above.

#5 02-16-2013 17:30:53

121NetDesign

Tony,

We modified the XML in upstools.php heavily to disregard the physical dimensions. All our products have a width, height and length of 1. UPS does not use nor need this info. All they are concerned with is the volumetric weight.

Many more modifications have also been made, far too involved for a forum post I'm afraid.

Tommy Lee

#6 02-18-2013 22:02:42

tony
Website

Are there any IT professionals that want to help us get this to work. I have no problem paying someone to do a job but kryptronic support I think just wants to do things we tell them and charge us an hourly rate and we have no clue if we know what needs to be done. I think they are saying they dont have time to do a job or take the bull by the horns and fix the problem but they will make modifications for us whether it works or not.

Since we have no way to know what modifications would be needed we are left asking for support again from anyone who thinks they can help us. We paid for this site to be active for over 2 years now thinking we could make it work but  have not made a penny yet on the site. Until we figure out the shipping we are on hold.

UPS will not help us past the links they sent to us and again I think they said we must hire our own IT pros to do any work. So again we need IT help and dont mind paying someone who will stick with us and work for us. I need to get this working now and make some money!

#7 02-19-2013 00:25:07

sppars

Tony,

Just out of curiosity, have you set the "Use UPS Negotiated Rates" under the "UPS OnLine Tools Settings" to True? If not, that might be why you may be seeing different rates than what WorldShip would be providing.

We mainly ship oversize items which go with dimensional weight and the cart tends to come close to the actual rate, at most in the past it has been off by $10 or so. Although, we have had to do away with real-time rates because it's almost impossible for customers to comprehend the cost of shipping when dimensional weight is involved and now just use a flat-rate program and end up absorbing the difference.

#8 02-19-2013 08:44:33

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Tony has multiple tickets open in our system on this *issue*.  Please be advised that UPS rates work perfectly fine in the software IF you enter correct dimensions (LxWxH) and weights for your items.  In his case, he doesn't want to have to enter dimensions and wants to rely on weights only.  He has sent us a request to modify the software to this effect based on mods 121NetDesign did to their site to avoid weight entry.  He has been in receipt for some time of a reasonable quote for this mod request.

I can assure everyone here that there are no issues at all with UPS, FedEx or USPS realtime rating provided you set up your data correctly.  For the UPS case, if you are receiving realtime rates that are higher than expected, it is likely that you are getting back 'counter' rates, and expecting 'negotiated' rates.  To get negotiated rates with the software, you simply need to flip on the use negotiated rates flag in the settings, and contact your UPS rate to make negotiated rates available to you online.

Nick Hendler

#9 02-20-2013 17:13:36

tony
Website

We are testing the difference between the two and also considering a flat rate system but the flat rate may be more work during rate time increases during the first months of each year. We didnt mean to get anyone alarmed as we are just trying to match our vendors shipping. I wish we could find someone that does this for a living and we could work directly with them.

Kryptronic support is good but I may need to have the changes made and then test and if it does not work have it put back or try something else and Im just not sure which way to go yet. It takes lots of testing as we are dealing with some odd shaped and dimensional sized boxes and bundles.

I am pulling hair to make the tests as it is not working the way I thought it would. Sorry for all the confusion Nick.

#10 02-20-2013 17:28:56

121NetDesign

I don't understand your problem tony. We have a site running CCP that ships worldwide items from chainsaws to rakes, barrels of oil to clothing. That's a range of odd shapes!

What exactly is not working for you?

Tommy Lee

#11 02-20-2013 18:04:37

tony
Website

Well I really do not understand why it does not match our vendors pricing except that they are getting a bigger discount. I can get one item close but when I enter multiples like two or three items it adds way to fast on our site and if it is shipping to the west coast it is a hundred or more dollars over what we are paying for shipping and no one would order. I thought if I got 53207 to work right it would add up correctly because the product is also shipping from 53207 but our shipping and their shipping is worlds apart.

Last edited by tony (02-20-2013 18:32:48)

#12 02-20-2013 23:04:33

tony
Website

Well here is a breakdown of one product and the shipping for it. I will compare our shipping rate with the vendors shipping rate both shipping from 53207 to 53207. switching between counter rates and negotiated rates make no change at all. this is with all 1s in the 3 sizes LxWxH and 9 lbs. for weight. Real product weights 2 lbs.

Qty           Vendors                    CCP8
1               $11.35                       $11.28
2                 11.46                         12.98
3                 11.80                         14.99
4                 11.98                         16.75
5                 12.59                         18.53

I will keep testing but UPS and Fed Ex are very close so I would need to adjust both if I work on the rates.
I am not sure if there is an adjustment available from the carriers but this is the same zip. It is far worse as the zips move away from Milwaukee. To the coasts they are hundreds apart.

When I set it to the correct weight and size it is way to little. $9.79

You can see from the numbers below that it is too low and jumps right over the correct amount to be too much. I cant even find the correct amount

Weight      L     W      H         Rate Returned
2               30    11     15           9.79
2               30     12    15           16.17
2               30     13     17           16.67
2               25      13    15           9.84
3               28       11   15           9.94
3               28      13    15          16.24
3               28      11    14            9.94
I am looking for $11.35  Nothing close and again multiples are too much.

Anyone have a suggestion I can try.

What is also a big pain is we have our backend time out set to 4 hours and it times out in ten minutes or less. I have to reset this every time I log in and sometimes it works and some times not. I love doing everything twice as it times out after I make changes.

Last edited by tony (02-20-2013 23:43:57)

#13 02-21-2013 12:23:17

dh783
Website

If you want to see what's in the XML request you will first have to disable JAVA on your browser, activate the debugger in your private_dir/core/CORE/CORE.php file, I would use option 1 for a file based debug file as to keep it from the general public, run a shipping request then view your debug file wich will be in your private_dir/temp directory.

John

#14 02-21-2013 14:38:06

webmaster
Administrator
Website

You need to call your UPS rep and have negotiated rates enabled for your account via the online tools API if you want to get negotiated rates.  I told you this yesterday in your ticket.

Nick Hendler

#15 02-21-2013 18:33:37

tony
Website

I spent most of the day on the phone to UPS and I found a rep that says he understands what we are trying to do. He said we are not getting any discounts so our counter rates and negotiated rates are the same. He is going to call us tomorrow to tell us what kind of discount we can get using our negotiated rates and I will have to wait until Monday for them to kick in because it is automatic that new discounts and rates are kicked in on mondays.

I hope this brings our rates more in line so we can develop a system that works for us. Just wanted to let you all know this in case someone else has the same issues with UPS rates. If we get this to work we will have to call Fed Ex and try to convence them to do the same.

Thanks for the advice Nick. We will keep working on this and hope it works soon!

Last edited by tony (02-21-2013 18:36:15)

#16 02-25-2013 20:09:30

tony
Website

Still not working, had UPS lower my rates and nothing seems to have changed. I am sure that I have my UPS acct number in the box and nogotiated rates is checked to true. It still seems to have the same rates as last week. I will test somemore until I can try UPS again tomorrow.

#17 02-26-2013 09:38:30

webmaster
Administrator
Website

As per your support ticket, you are getting an error back from UPS that your account is NOT set up to return negotiated rates.  I have provided you all the info you need to contact UPS to get this corrected.

PLEASE EITHER POST ISSUES HERE, OR IN OUR TICKET SUPPORT SYSTEM, NOT BOTH PLACES.

Nick Hendler

Board footer