Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 08-22-2012 06:21:43

Lee N
Member
Registered: 09-07-2009
Posts: 33

V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

I presume this installer script is supposed to be okay for a clean install? I have removed Europacart V7 completely.

The install seems to have worked okay but it couldn't set the permissions while creating the directories (Skins, Media etc) I had to create them manually and set the permissions before running the installer script which seemed to work around the problem.

Possibly it's a server problem my end but didn't have this problem installing V7.

Last edited by Lee N (08-22-2012 06:22:25)

Offline

 

#2 08-22-2012 06:50:53

jj1987
Moderator
From: Orlando, FL
Registered: 07-14-2008
Posts: 502
Website

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

Lee N wrote:

I presume this installer script is supposed to be okay for a clean install? I have removed Europacart V7 completely.

The install seems to have worked okay but it couldn't set the permissions while creating the directories (Skins, Media etc) I had to create them manually and set the permissions before running the installer script which seemed to work around the problem.

Possibly it's a server problem my end but didn't have this problem installing V7.

Are you using Plesk?



-James Garrett

Offline

 

#3 08-22-2012 08:00:04

121NetDesign
Member
From: Surrey, UK
Registered: 05-10-2007
Posts: 427

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

jj1987 wrote:

Lee N wrote:

I presume this installer script is supposed to be okay for a clean install? I have removed Europacart V7 completely.

The install seems to have worked okay but it couldn't set the permissions while creating the directories (Skins, Media etc) I had to create them manually and set the permissions before running the installer script which seemed to work around the problem.

Possibly it's a server problem my end but didn't have this problem installing V7.

Are you using Plesk?

Same happened here. Running Plesk.

Just had to chmod the permissions on the folders and kept runnig the installer until it all went through.


Tommy Lee

Offline

 

#4 08-22-2012 08:04:34

webmaster
Administrator
From: York, PA
Registered: 04-20-2001
Posts: 19557
Website

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

The install needs permission to write to the install directories in order to work.  On plesk, that means the user 'apache' needs write permissions to those directories, or they have to be chmoded to 777.


Nick Hendler

Offline

 

#5 08-22-2012 08:24:45

Lee N
Member
Registered: 09-07-2009
Posts: 33

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

using Cpanel here. V7 installs no problem and sets the permissions without problem.

Offline

 

#6 08-22-2012 08:53:57

ashley
Member
Registered: 08-16-2010
Posts: 41

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

I had the same thing, installing on Plesk. It doesn't 777 the directories when it creates them (or tries and fails) and it returns an error. Manually setting 777 on the directories fixes it though.

Offline

 

#7 08-22-2012 14:57:03

webmaster
Administrator
From: York, PA
Registered: 04-20-2001
Posts: 19557
Website

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

Hmmm.  We run our server as plesk and have no issues like this at all.  Are you sure you installed the new installer prior to running the installer, as per the instructions for upgrading?


Nick Hendler

Offline

 

#8 08-22-2012 17:02:01

Lee N
Member
Registered: 09-07-2009
Posts: 33

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

webmaster wrote:

Hmmm.  We run our server as plesk and have no issues like this at all.  Are you sure you installed the new installer prior to running the installer, as per the instructions for upgrading?

Just to clarify...

Europacart 8 on Cpanel.

I'm doing a 100% fresh install of V8. I have completely removed the entire V7 install, all files and directories, the public_html folder is completely cleared of everything to do with Clickcart / Europacart and all the tables dropped from the database. Therefore, no, I'm not doing any pre-upgrade installs.

The fresh V8 install stops at step 7. It creates the /downloads directory okay but sets the permissions to 644 so is unable to create the file downloads.php within that directory. If I continue through the installer then the same problem with all other directories, it creates them but sets them all to 644 and cannot write the necessary files within them.

Maybe it's a server issue my end but if so then something has changed in V8 because the V7 installer doesn't have this problem.

Offline

 

#9 08-22-2012 21:31:26

jj1987
Moderator
From: Orlando, FL
Registered: 07-14-2008
Posts: 502
Website

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

Lee N wrote:

webmaster wrote:

Hmmm.  We run our server as plesk and have no issues like this at all.  Are you sure you installed the new installer prior to running the installer, as per the instructions for upgrading?

Just to clarify...

Europacart 8 on Cpanel.

I'm doing a 100% fresh install of V8. I have completely removed the entire V7 install, all files and directories, the public_html folder is completely cleared of everything to do with Clickcart / Europacart and all the tables dropped from the database. Therefore, no, I'm not doing any pre-upgrade installs.

The fresh V8 install stops at step 7. It creates the /downloads directory okay but sets the permissions to 644 so is unable to create the file downloads.php within that directory. If I continue through the installer then the same problem with all other directories, it creates them but sets them all to 644 and cannot write the necessary files within them.

Maybe it's a server issue my end but if so then something has changed in V8 because the V7 installer doesn't have this problem.

Who is the "owner" of the file?  Is it the user php runs as, or your FTP user?  Unless you have suPHP installed or are running CGI php, the owner might not be the FTP user, so you can't change from 655 without sudo access via the command line.



-James Garrett

Offline

 

#10 08-23-2012 03:27:14

ashley
Member
Registered: 08-16-2010
Posts: 41

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

webmaster wrote:

Hmmm.  We run our server as plesk and have no issues like this at all.  Are you sure you installed the new installer prior to running the installer, as per the instructions for upgrading?

This was on a totally fresh install, typically the problem is that the owner is Apache but as I can CHMOD them via FileZilla it's unlikely to be that - it would normally return a permission error when trying to CHMOD via FTP when Apache owns the folder.

Offline

 

#11 08-23-2012 05:23:09

markp17
Member
Registered: 01-29-2012
Posts: 169
Website

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

which version of plesk do you have?

Offline

 

#12 08-23-2012 05:52:18

Lee N
Member
Registered: 09-07-2009
Posts: 33

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

jj1987 wrote:

Who is the "owner" of the file?  Is it the user php runs as, or your FTP user?  Unless you have suPHP installed or are running CGI php, the owner might not be the FTP user, so you can't change from 655 without sudo access via the command line.

This gets a little bit out of my depth but I do know suPHP is installed. When logged in with Filezilla it shows my login name as owner and allows me to change permissions .. and at the risk of sounding like a broken record - V7 on the same account, same server, same directory, same everything, has no problem setting permissions.

Offline

 

#13 08-23-2012 07:19:04

ashley
Member
Registered: 08-16-2010
Posts: 41

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

markp17 wrote:

which version of plesk do you have?

I don't know who you were talking to, but we're running 9.5.4!

Offline

 

#14 08-23-2012 07:31:16

webmaster
Administrator
From: York, PA
Registered: 04-20-2001
Posts: 19557
Website

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

If you're having permissions problems, you can set explicitly what the system needs by editing the top of the v8 index.php, installer.php and admin.php files.  Make sure you're using the new v8 install package for these features.


Nick Hendler

Offline

 

#15 08-23-2012 10:39:48

markp17
Member
Registered: 01-29-2012
Posts: 169
Website

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

we have had problems with plesk in the past, but since updating to V11 lot less issues

Offline

 

#16 08-23-2012 10:51:49

Lee N
Member
Registered: 09-07-2009
Posts: 33

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

webmaster wrote:

If you're having permissions problems, you can set explicitly what the system needs by editing the top of the v8 index.php, installer.php and admin.php files.  Make sure you're using the new v8 install package for these features.

As far as I can make out, it's the software that's having problems with the permissions, not the server setup. If that's not the case then could you explain why V7 does not have any issues. Incidentally, none of this is a complaint, the workaround is easy, just trying to point out that something may "possibly" be wrong with the V8 software installer.

Offline

 

#17 08-23-2012 16:44:03

webmaster
Administrator
From: York, PA
Registered: 04-20-2001
Posts: 19557
Website

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

The v8 installer now checks the permissions of the php files in the public directory and sets the permissions of the files in utilities and downloads to those same levels.  This was done due to many users needing those directories chmodded to 755 on cpanel installs for them to run.


Nick Hendler

Offline

 

#18 03-18-2014 23:04:01

mdowning
Member
From: California
Registered: 11-05-2010
Posts: 725
Website

Re: V8 Fresh install problem with CHMOD

webmaster wrote:

The v8 installer now checks the permissions of the php files in the public directory and sets the permissions of the files in utilities and downloads to those same levels.  This was done due to many users needing those directories chmodded to 755 on cpanel installs for them to run.

Yes, I had to set mine to 755, 777 would not work.


http://tuxedothemes.org/
Wordpress Themes for business, blogs and personal use.

Offline

 

Board footer