Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 06-16-2012 19:29:59

geraldz

Database filling up

I happened to look at my hosting admin panel and discovered that my database usage was 102MB which was over my 100MB limit.  I had two backups and I deleted one.  This brought down my storage capacity down to 75MB.  I was surprised to see such a large database as our CCP store just opened on January 1st.

I recently changed hosting plans and now new databases have a 1,024MB storage capacity.  If I set up a new, larger database I'm assuming I can:

1. turn off the store
2. back up the database
3. install the new database via the Installer script
4. restore the backup

Would this work?

Does CCP have any database compression/management features?

What happens when my new database reaches the 1,024MB capacity in a few years?

#2 06-17-2012 09:09:47

cyberws

Re: Database filling up

My guess is you are storing shopping carts for a long time.  I would check to see which tables are growing so big but in general I found it is the shopping cart data.  If so set the storage to short period.

We have run CCP for years and don't have problems with our database.

Jeremy O

Production CCP .:. Version 6 w/QuickBuy and many in house hacks
Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

#3 06-17-2012 09:17:06

geraldz

Hi.  Thanks for your reply.

I browsed the database but it doesn't show the table sizes.  Where would I find this?

Also how do I change the storage period settings?  I couldn't find that either.

#4 06-17-2012 11:15:06

cyberws

There are many ways to get the size but the easiest is with PHPMyAdmin, which is available in most control panels. 

As for storage:
v7: "Store", "Component", "Settings", "Cron Settings", then look for "Shopping Cart/Wish List Storage Time".  You can alter the storage period.  Obviously save your changes once made so they take effect.

However I would first discover the size of your database so you can note the effect of that setting.

Finally are you running any other programs in the same database like Wordpress? Joomla? etc... If so it is possible CCP isn't the problem.

Jeremy O

Skills: PHP & Perl programming, Solaris & Linux server administration, Oracle OCP training and MySQL experience

#5 06-17-2012 14:28:42

geraldz

Thanks.  I changed the Shopping Cart/Wish List storage time from 6 months to 1 month.  The database size did not change but I'll probably have to recheck in 24 hours after the store updates itself.

#6 06-17-2012 15:18:17

cyberws

Yeah it doesn't run immediately.

Jeremy O

#7 06-18-2012 07:53:47

jj1987
Website

DELETE FROM  core_users where lastaccess < unix_timestamp( DATE_ADD( NOW( ) , INTERVAL -3 MONTH ) ) and usergroup not like 'superuser';
DELETE FROM  core_users where lastaccess < unix_timestamp( DATE_ADD( NOW( ) , INTERVAL -3 MONTH ) );

The above code deletes users who haven't logged in in 3mo, as well as sessions that are >3mo old.  I would run the sessions one and see if it gets you under the size limit, but probly not run the users cleanup unless you absolutely have to.

-James Garrett

#8 06-18-2012 21:15:52

geraldz

UPDATE - the database size dropped from 75MB to 68MB.

#9 06-19-2012 09:06:57

cyberws

Good deal.

Jeremy O

Board footer