Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 12-20-2010 14:14:25

chinapres

Lifespan of CCP6

I am trying to decide whether to upgrade to CCP7 or to remain with version 6. I am reluctant to upgrade to version 7 because I have made so many code changes and modifications to the original software that the thought of upgrading will be a major task. I am happy with the features of CCP6 and don't need any of the new features in version 7. But in terms of the ongoing functionality of CCP6, is there any reason to think that CCP6 will not be future proof. If I stick with CCP6, how many years of lifespan should it give me?

#2 12-20-2010 14:21:38

dh783
Website

Re: Lifespan of CCP6

There is really not time limit to the life of ccp6 other than the version of php and database that it is running on, they are really the only to things that will cause you any problems in the future and it is not hard to get ccp6 running on php5.3.2 at the current time either.

John

#3 12-20-2010 14:40:53

chinapres

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. That does give me some confidence about remaining with CCP6. Regarding the version of PHP and Database, is that something which my hosting company will one day change on the server causing CCP6 to suddenly stop working or is that only an issue if I have to move to a new server?

#4 12-20-2010 14:57:35

dh783
Website

It something that your service provider will probably do in the future, if you have to comply with PCI (credit cards standards) you may be forced into a new php version sooner than you think or an update in the database my require a higher version of php.

John

#5 12-23-2010 09:18:26

Design_Wholesale
Website

Just a cautionary note for anyone thinking of buying or continuing to use CCP 6.0:

I had to reinstall our webstore earlier this week and discovered that the install script appears to no longer work. - There are two tests, in particular, that require a connection to the main Kryptronic server (for Curl and HTTP/HTTPS connectivity) and the script choked on both of these and refused to continue with the install process until it was modified to circumvent the checks.

As there was no comment on the situation with the script in a post I made at the time I am guessing that CCP 6.0 has either truly gone legacy now (so the install script will no longer work) or there is a problem with CCP 6.0 and PHP 5.2.14.  My setup was clean at the time and was definitely okay because I currently have it running the webstore with absolutely no issues at all, so it wasn't a badly configured PHP library, MySQL issue (although, yes, I did later find a table that hadn't closed properly following a crash on an earlier server), and I am sure that it was not the script either (recent replacement from CCP UK); although if someone here from Kryptronic could forward a new one to use I would certainly run the install process again to confirm that for definite.

Last edited by Design_Wholesale (12-23-2010 09:22:12)

#6 12-23-2010 12:33:32

dh783
Website

The only thing in recent memory that would cause problems with ccp6 would be that support for items that where purchased thru GreenBarn (UK version) was dropped by Kryptronic (I believe), so was the cart in question one that was obtained thru GreenBarn?

John

#7 12-24-2010 13:22:58

Design_Wholesale
Website

Yes, but it was the 'legal', no-dispute, CCP 6.0. - Would that still be classed as one of those items that has been dropped by Kryptronic, because I am sure that, in a post from only a few days ago, Dave or yourself confirmed that it did not matter whether the version of CCP 6.0 was UK or US due to the installer script being the same for both.

#8 12-25-2010 05:05:30

Dave

The installer itself is essentially the same but the installer relies on things on the Kryptronic central server which may have had the V6 components removed (no idea whether or not they were).

#9 12-27-2010 06:09:14

Design_Wholesale
Website

Thanks, Dave, - Howard sent us a new installer script and I got the install process working just fine with that, so I'm not sure what the problem was with the other script.

Board footer