Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 07-22-2003 14:08:17

webmaster
Administrator
Website

CCP 5.1 (Tiki) - Release Update

The release date for CCP 5.1 (tiki) is currently scheduled for 07/24 and it appears that we are on schedule to release that day.  A few notes follow on popular 5.1 items discussed elsewhere on the forum.  Items covered are:

New features in 5.1
Coding modifications & support hours
New upgrade policy
Feature freeze

#########
######### New features in 5.1
#########

A very abbreviated list of high level features that have been integrated so far (and fully tested) follows. Somebody asked for a little more explanation, so here goes:

(1) Processor Integrations - With the release of tiki, we're effectively doubled the number of supported processors (payment gateways). The latest additions are: ECHOnline, EFSNET, InternetSecure, Caledon, PlugNPay, SurePay, SkipJack, PSiGate, Netbilling, BluePay API, NOCHEX, SECPay, SplashPlastic, Protx & Spectre

(2) Shipping Integration: UPS Online Tools - Integration with the UPS Online Tools interface. Admin now allows you to register for a UPS account via CCP and performs all rates and service selection functions as well as realtime package tracking - embedded in CCP (not a link to ups.com).

(3) Shipping Integration: UPS Web API - The UPS Web API (non-registerd access) interface has been expanded to provide realtime package tracking - embedded in CCP (not a link to ups.com). This is in additon to the UPS Web API rates and service selection within CCP5.0.

(4) Shipping Integration: USPS Web Tools - The USPS Web Tools interface has been expanded to provide realtime package tracking - embedded in CCP (not a link to usps.com). This is in additon to the USPS Web Tools rates and service selection within CCP5.0. Also added a function to remove USPS International services. In 5.0, that required a Perl code change.

(5) Shipping Integration: FedEx DirectConnect - Integration with the FedEx DirectConnect interface. Admin now allows you to register for a FedEx carrier key via CCP and performs all rates and service selection functions as well as realtime package tracking - embedded in CCP (not a link to fedex.com).

(6) Remote product add to cart API Expanded - The remote product add to cart API now allows you to specify shipping logic similar to that defined in Manage Products for database entered products in admin. This means that shipping selections (including realtime and custom shipping) can be made at checkout and does not have to be made when the item is added to the cart.

(7) Full SSL Checkout - Admin now has the option to run the entire checkout process in SSL (from the time the user clicks the Checkout link).

(8) User Login / Customer Accounts - Users can now create customer accounts (with all billing & shipping info included) and login from any computer to access them using their email address and password. An email password function is also provided as well as the ability for admin to display the login link at checkout, not to display the link, or to make login required. When using the new full SSL checkout feature, customer accounts are set up and maintained via SSL.

(9) Allow for shipping custom scripts on the product level - Custom shipping scripts are now handled on the product level, not globally. This allows for the use of multiple custom scripts on the same order for items that are shipped differently or have special rules. Configuring all items to use the same custom script mimics the 5.0 global functionality.

(10) Major changes to shipping displays - Now all printed shipping information in checkout/order info and generated emails is displayed in shipping groups. In 5.0 shipping info was printed per item (shipping addresses were repeated on a per item basis). In 5.1, shipping groups are printed with item info next to/under them.

(11) Shipper email reconfiguration - Now drop shippers are each sent one email per order (not an email for every product ordered as in 5.0). This cuts down on time spent correlating emails to single shipments on their end.

(12) Link to items from the cart - Admin now has the option to turn on links to product and category pages from items in the cart. The cart keeps origin information so links back to originating product detail or category pages retain category sale & breadcrumb nav info. Also, the remote product add to cart API allows you to link back to static HTML pages from the cart.

(13) Add continue shopping button to cart page - A continue shopping button was added to the cart page to link back to originating product, category or remote HTML pages after an item is added. It links back to the store home page if the shopping cart is not being presented after the user adds something to their cart.

(14) Updated display logic - The store splash page, new items, best sellers, specials and search results pages now all have their own display definitions. They are no longer limited to the same display choices.

(15) Product numbers in the cart/order/emails - Admin now has an option to turn on displays of product numbers in the shopping cart, checkout/order process and in generated emails.

(16) Addition of admin control over where to direct user after cart additions - Admin can now select whether to direct users to the shopping cart page, remote HTML pages (for remote add to cart API) or product detail and category pages (for database item adds) after a user adds items to their cart.

(17) Disable store function - Admin can now do maintenance to the store while users browse the rest of the site. An admin function was added to close the store temporarily with a polite message.

(18) Reset reports function - Now you can reset your daily, product and page statistics via admin. No need to login via FTP and delete lines from CSV files...

(19) Expand search functionality - Search logic now contains Any Words, All Words, Exact Phrase logic to allow for more defined searches.

(20) Tracking email generator - Admin can now regenerate emails to the customer and order email addresses via admin by clicking on a link while managing orders.

(21) Discount (custom) at checkout like custom shipping logic - The custom shipping script logic was mirrored to allow admin to specify custom sale logic. A new line item to the cart has been added that functions as a discount (it's called LESS: Sale and the discount line is now LESS: Discount). Admin can custom code or choose from canned scripts to allow for things like x% off purchases of $y or more, $x off purchased of y items or more, etc.

(22) Expanded offline processing email option - Now admin can choose whether to email credit card information in addition to storing it in the database with the unique decrypt key.

(23) Context sensitive help & expanded manual - The manual has been expanded to include more helpful information. It still might not be where all users expect it to be, but it's much better. Admin has context-sensitive help available on all pages. The new context-sensitive help gives admin a pop-up window with information on the field they click help on.

(24) Add emails to maillist on order & other maillist changes - A function was added to give admin the option to display a 'add to maillist' interface to the checkout form. Also, maillist enhancements were made so that logic is a bit more SMTP server friendly.

(25) Admin function to change the time offset - This function allows admin to adjust the time plus or minus away from the server clock. This allows for better integration with the Authorize.net SIM interface (it relies on correct time being passed) as well as the ability to syncronize order times with the admin's time zone (in case their server is in a different time zone).

(26) Alter Table Code - Now for a large number of tables marked as configurable, you can add and delete user defined columns to/from tables for all data source formats (CSV and RDBMS) via admin. No more importing/exporting from CSV's and making manual updates via FTP for column additions!

(27) Relationship Changes - I completely blew away the relationship logic in tiki and included options to relate categories to other categories on the Manage Categories function, and options to relate products to product options, categories and other products on the Manage Products function. Relationships are now entered using a comma delimited reference string list format and for each field where a relationship can be made, there is a pop-up link so that you can view/scroll through the available reference strings for that particular relationship item. It is working very well and as an added bonus, speed increased on the fronted because there were less database lookups to do.

(28) SQL Engine - Allows admin users to execute SQL on select tables from admin. INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE only. SELECTs handled in Manage interfaces.

(29) Change admin displays to display LBS/KG or IN/CM instead of conversions.

(30) Change oversize field to number of boxes field under Manage Products. Products can ship in own box, multiple boxes or be combined with other items in a single box.

(31) Product options can now be required or not required.

(32) Removed the Print Order Invoice function from admin and added an Invoice link to the Manage Orders screen. Now you edit/delete/print orders from the same screen.

(33) Switched the order of the Manage Orders screen to show the most recent orders first in the list.

(34) Added more custom sale script examples - 5 total will be shipped with the program.

(35) Finalized the Quickbooks and Peachtree accounting software exports.

(36) Expanded discount functionality to allow admin to include/exclude certain products from discounts.

(37) Expanded discount functionality to decline unused discount balances (instead of just expiring them).

(38) Order numbers can be either a datestamp, epoch seconds or a random number all either prefixed by the order prefix, or not. Admin's choice.

(39) EU VAT & Canadian PST Permit logic was implemented.

(40) Larger images popups were added to the product detail pages to allow for three levels of images: thumbnail on category page, detail on product detail page, and extra large image in a popup off the product detail page. Admin can turn popups on/off for each product.

(41) Only ship to billing address function added.

(42) This one was for Jack - For checkouts where you're using a full SSL checkout (which is also an option in tiki) if you're collecting the credit card number, it's done on the same page as the order review. That saves one page - faster checkout!

Quite a few smaller and larger functions are in the final release stages right now.

#########
######### Coding modifications & support hours
#########

I just did a count of the enhancements made in tiki and we have topped out at 101 different updates. Most of them (as you can tell) are fairly major. I counted 81 that either took at least 1 hour to code, or were very hot requests on the forum (5 or more users expressed interest). 22 of them took over 5 hours to code correctly and 9 took a full day or more.

All of the requests for changes were made on this forum, by the beta testers or via email at some point since the release of 5.0 in August 2002. Every request for a change was given careful consideration and I would say around 85-90% of the changes requested have been implemented.

As of today I've got over 370 support hours into this release since heavy coding began on 04/01. This does not include all of the time the beta team has spent banging away on it.

#########
######### New upgrade policy
#########

For the 5.1 tiki release, it has been determined that a scaled price upgrade policy should be in effect.  This is the result of very positive user feedback on how to handle pricing the upgrades.  The following cost structure will be used for 5.1 (initially):

Full version 5.1: $99.99 (on sale from $199.99)

Upgrade from 4.0: $79.99

Upgrade from 5.0: $49.99

Upgrade from 5.0 if you purchased 5.0 on or after 05/01/2003: $29.99

To address questions about what the upgrade will actually upgrade - the answer is nearly everything.  All products, categories, options, relationships, orders, settings, images, etc. will be imported into a 5.1 install from your 5.0 or 4.0 installs.  For 5.0 upgrades, the only items not ported over will be HTML changes to a few non-layout related elements that were heavilly modified for this release.  Everything else will port over and work perfectly.  4.0 upgrades have a few items that need addressing after the upgrade like re-setting online processing settings and re-writing custom shipping scripts.

This new policy is stated at:

http://www.clickcartpro.com/app/cgi-bin … cs_upgrade

#########
######### Feature freeze
#########

Requests for new functionality and features for 5.1 have been frozen as of 07/10/2003.  All other feature requests should be posted in the 'Everything Else' forum to be looked at in the future.  Thanks to everyone who has suggested features - the 'Coding modifications & support hours' section above addresses how important user comments have been in making this release as large and feature rich as it is.

Nick Hendler
Webmaster, Kryptronic, Inc.

Nick Hendler

#2 07-22-2003 15:44:06

Re: CCP 5.1 (Tiki) - Release Update

Thanks for allowing the extra discount for those of us who purchased the software after the first.  I can't wait for the new release.

One more thing though, you did include a multiple upload feature didn't you?  I thought I saw that mentioned somewhere.

Thanks for all the hard work.

-tg1979

#3 07-22-2003 16:44:44

Will updating get rid of customizations that we paid for?

#4 07-23-2003 09:07:59

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Table based customizations will be kept as much as possible - code based customizations will be lost (other than custom shipping scripts).  The good news is that over half of the code based customizations that we did since the 5.0 release have been incorporated into the new release.

Nick Hendler

Nick Hendler

#5 07-23-2003 14:10:21

keyman
Website

<font size="1" color="#FF0000">LAST EDITED ON 07-23-03 AT 03:11 PM (EST)</font><p>CCP5.1 sounds good ! When can I mail in my check? (I don't have a credit cards anymore.) Any delays in implementing CCP5.1 would cause me great financial hardship. It will be nice not to be using this forum for dozens of bug reports from my end.

keyman

#6 07-24-2003 02:57:07

i was very happy about 5.1, now I am just bummed the release date keep moving back. So it is set for today, is it going to happen or no?

#7 07-24-2003 08:37:20

jwhen

It's @ 9:30 AM EST and no Tiki.  Where's Tiki? I want my own Tiki :B

#8 07-24-2003 09:08:08

thesicilian

Hey it 12:05am 25th July (Australian time) and I'm hangin for tiki!

Did someone sleep in today?

#9 07-24-2003 09:50:33

looks like the site says the 25th now. i give up.

#10 07-24-2003 10:00:15

superhero2000
Website

Patiences All!  Good things come to those who wait smile

Vinh
VQC Designs, LLC

#11 07-24-2003 10:47:37

PinkPanther

>Patiences All!  Good things come
>to those who wait smile
>

Hear hear...I would rather have Nick take his time and introduce a stable version rather than rushing him silly and then ending up with bugs.

Patience is a good thing and Nick is working non-stop to get this done, so let us give him a little break - ok smile

Kay

#12 07-24-2003 11:39:48

EagleWolf

Better to test, test, test and get it right then to have it buggy. Especially with all the major changes. Actually I am surprised with all the changes why this is just 5.1 and not a 6.0 version.

Thanks,
Chris
wwwsite_name_deleted.com
wwwequivity.com - e-Commerce Website hosting starting at $5.95/month

Chris
<a href='mailto:webmaster@equivity.com'>webmaster@equivity.com</a>
-

#13 07-24-2003 22:55:29

EagleWolf

Nick,

I know there are some sites that have a pop open window to view a larger picture of the item (under product details picture). Does tiki have this built in, if not where can I get this snippet of code?

Thanks,
Chris
wwwsite_name_deleted.com
wwwequivity.com - e-Commerce Website hosting starting at $5.95/month

Chris
<a href='mailto:webmaster@equivity.com'>webmaster@equivity.com</a>
-

#14 07-24-2003 23:43:39

What time EST will you release it?

#15 07-25-2003 07:02:31

TerryA
Website

>Nick,
>
>I know there are some sites
>that have a pop open
>window to view a larger
>picture of the item (under
>product details picture). Does tiki
>have this built in, if
>not where can I get
>this snippet of code?
>
>
>
>
>Thanks,
>Chris
>www.site_name_deleted.com
>www.equivity.com - e-Commerce Website hosting starting
>at $5.95/month

It is in there!

Terry
terry/@hosttec.net
http://www.hosttec.net
We make hosting work for you!
CCP at:
http://www.caketopsplus.com
http://www.weddingringplace.com

#16 07-25-2003 09:22:23

webmaster
Administrator
Website

The release will go live on 07/27.

It had to be pushed it back a bit (again, I know) to give the beta team enough time to fully test the affiliate and 4.0/5.0 upgrade scripting and to finalize all of the documentation and context sensitive help.

I do apologize for this final delay.  Everyone out here seems to be very supportive and more interested in getting quality software than stuff that's released too quickly and not tested.  That's a smart way to approach it, and your understanding and support on this issue is greatly appreciated.

A few of the modules that just completed testing and coding finalization include:

- Affiliate module (full blown - you won't have to go elsewhere)

- Previous order history for logged in users

- Quantity based product discounts (buy up to 2 for x price, between 3 and 7 for y price, over 7 for z price - you get it)

A few more...

I will be updating the forum once we go live - any unanswered posts will receive a response almost immediately following the release.  Yes, we're that close. 

Nick Hendler

Nick Hendler

#17 07-25-2003 09:44:50

sad  shoot, I really want that Tiki !!!  Oh well, two more days.  Most of us understand that it takes awhile to get everthing perfect, take your time with the release.  It'll be better to get it and play around with all the new features rather than get it and have to work at fixing bugs.  You guys are doing great !

#18 07-25-2003 09:44:32

jaavi

>I know there are some sites
>that have a pop open
>window to view a larger
>picture of the item (under
>product details picture). Does tiki
>have this built in,

Chris,

I think Nick has mentioned that Tiki has this feature.

>if
>not where can I get
>this snippet of code?

Wait for Tiki, if it does not have this feature I can let you have it, and it involves more than just a snippet of code!

Regards, Joey.

http://www.4xact.com

#19 07-25-2003 13:18:58

mjinxed

Just to ease all concerns, this feature IS in CCP5.1 There will be a small thumbnail for the catalog listing. A bigger image for product detail, and then a full size popup is available from the product detail. This feature is 100% included in CCP5.1.

smile

MJL

#20 07-25-2003 18:10:44

thesicilian

Even though I'm hanging for Tiki, Nick you are right, we value quality over speedy release dates.

In my eyes there are two great business to learn from, Macromedia and Kryptronic. Both companies have well priced products. Both companies have products chock full of features and both companies listen and act on their clients recommendations!

Congrats Nick!

mike.g.

#21 07-27-2003 11:38:41

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Thanks for all of the comments and support.  I just updated the site to show tiki being released 'on or before' Wednesday 07/30/2003.  I expect the release to go live before then, but am tired of updating the site with new dates and having users dissappointed each day that it gets pushed back.  We're working mostly on the documentation aspects of the program at this point, which is being taken very seriously for this release.  Please bear with us as we strive to make tiki the ultimate ecom program available on the net.

Nick Hendler

Nick Hendler

#22 07-27-2003 13:24:13

Todd
Website

<font size="1" color="#FF0000">LAST EDITED ON 07-27-03 AT 02:25 PM (EST)</font><p>I think many newer users are going to appreciate more in depth documentation.  When I first started using CCP... it was largely trial and error.

I think this will be a tremendous help in getting new users up to speed without so much guesswork... on what does what.

Although the release has been pushed back several times, the release will not disappoint.  In my opinion it deserves a better version number than 5.1... because it has tons of added funtionality!

Tiki is going to empower many of us to build ecommerce sites that will share comparable functionality to many of the biggest ecommerce sites out there.

When estimating time for completion on projects... I almost always undershoot the estimate.  There are so many little items that come up along the way that need to be addressed which are literally impossible to anticipate.  However, almost always does the client get a better product by waiting patiently for my slowness (really just be thorough) than in trying to rush me to meet a deadline that was unrealistic.

I have never had a client that was upset after they saw the finished product... even though they waited longer than they expected.

When Tiki is released, no one is going to complain that it took too long!  They will be too busy appreciating all the new functionality!

there's more than one way to...

#23 07-27-2003 13:53:56

scienceman

I don't think Tiki is going to be released anytime this July.  I give up. :'(

#24 07-27-2003 15:13:34

This is ridiculous!

#25 07-27-2003 21:37:34

Todd
Website

<font size="1" color="#FF0000">LAST EDITED ON 07-27-03 AT 10:40 PM (EST)</font><p><font size="1" color="#FF0000">LAST EDITED ON 07-27-03 AT 10:39 PM (EST)</font>

This is actually quite common in the software world.  Often dates are pushed back because it is very hard to predict problems in development.

Consider all these pieces of software.

Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows .Net Server
Mozilla 1.0
Mac OS X

Games

Star Wars Galaxies
Doom III
Half Life
Diablo 2
C & C Generals

etc....

All of these were pushed back... some for many months.

If the biggest software companies in the world push back dates on software, isn't it to also be expected from much smaller operations where perhaps only a few developers are at work... or only one?

I mean... if he gets sick...  how can he predict that?

Maybe we can cut him a bit of slack.  Most of us are quite aware, it pretty doggone tough to find a shopping cart with all this functionality for a measley 100 bucks!

there's more than one way to...

Board footer