Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 11-15-2010 17:27:02

jason

Chained select menus.

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience incorporating a triple/quadruple chained select menu into their web store.

I have been toying with this idea for a while now and have researched the methods employed but am a complete novice when it comes to implememting this kind of navigation system into our web store.

The most popular methods i believe are  to use jquery / json and or ajax with php.

Here is an example and files based on .js files and html.

http://www.yxscripts.com/cs/chainedselects.html

I like the style of this chained select menu but I would like to populate the selects using info from our database.

There is another example here which uses jquery / ajax and php.

http://www.99points.info/2010/06/ajax-t … ax-in-php/

This one seems like it could be easier to use but how would one use this to work dynamically with my webstore.

I can see the code examples but thats where it ends for me. I have no idea how or where to put this code and how to change it to pull data from our databse.

Any help would be appreciated please or if anyone would like to quote me a price for doing this for me Id apprciate this also.

Kind regards

#2 11-16-2010 14:46:45

Design_Wholesale
Website

Re: Chained select menus.

To be honest I would not be at all sure exactly what you are trying to do. - The only thing I can think of is that it is a fancy name for flyout menus, like dh783 produced in a recent mod.

Last edited by Design_Wholesale (11-20-2010 14:17:50)

#3 11-16-2010 18:14:02

jason

Hi John.

A working example of what I would like on my store can be found here.

http://www.laptop-adapter.co.uk/index.asp

Basically its a form of navigation which allows you to navigate direct to your product using combo select drop downs with the first selected option chained/linked to the 2nd selected option and so on and so forth. Very much like most motherboard/graphic driver web sites nowadays.

I personally think its a much cleaner way of navigating to a prefered product than having a multi layered flyout menu.

My initial question was based on this type of navigation and how I would go about  populating the 1st/2nd/3rd drop downs with data/options direct from the mysql database which runs the webstore.

Obviously all our products/ catagories are held within the database its just that I have no idea how to do this. There must be one clickcart pro user out there who has this implimented on their website surely?

Regards

Jason

#4 11-20-2010 14:15:42

Design_Wholesale
Website

I see what you mean, now, - thanks for the example.

What you want to do is probably simpler than the flyout menu and could probably be achieved just by using nested  statements and various database calls.

I already have something similar in place in conjunction with the flyout menu - , for example [the subcategories are linked (or chained, if you prefer)] on each category page.

Last edited by Design_Wholesale (11-20-2010 14:16:53)

Board footer