Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 01-19-2010 17:38:38

kev

Vat on shipping is used to calculate Vat amount and rate for item

The Vat calculation for a checkout item that is a non-vat product seems to be using the vat calculated from the delivery amount.

Order Totals
Item Subtotal ex Vat £42.20
Delivery Total £6.99
Vat Total £1.22
Total £50.41

The above Vat Total is the Vat amount for delivery as the product is a non-vat product.  However, the VAT Summary breakdown for the above has used the £1.22 as the total vat for the cart item as below

VAT Summary
Item  Quantity  Total ex Vat  VAT  Rate 
127529 - Esselte Economy Pocket Lightweight Polypropylene Multipunched Top-opening A4 Clear Ref 56133 [Pack 100] 10 £42.20 £1.22 2.89%

Also, why isn't the delivery part of the order listed as an order item that is incurring Vat?

If there are cart settings in admin to correctly setup UK Vat then please explain what and where to set Vat correctly.

#2 01-20-2010 08:29:08

kev

Re: Vat on shipping is used to calculate Vat amount and rate for item

I am finding that setting up VAT in EuropaCart to be a real pain without documentation for how, where and what settings to make.

I have a large product catalogue of many thousands of products so load product data via a CSV file to ecom_prod table.  I currently have 2 test products 1 vat incurring and the other zero vat.  They have different delivery options which are both vat incurring at 17.5%.  See below:

name: VAT incurring product STANDARD delivery
taxstateprov: STANDARD
taxcountry: STANDARD
customship: standard
taxclass: STANDARD

name: NON-VAT product FURNITURE delivery
taxstateprov: EXEMPT
taxcountry: EXEMPT
customship: furniture
taxclass: EXEMPT

Putting "VAT incurring product STANDARD delivery" through the Checkout results in (the Vat calculation has been applied to both the product and delivery at this point which is correct):
Step 1 of 2: Create Order
Order Totals
Item Subtotal ex Vat £112.72
Delivery Total £7.25
Vat Total £20.99
Total £140.96

Step 2 of 2: Review and Pay
Order Totals
Delivery Total £7.25
Vat Total £20.99
Total £140.96

VAT Summary
126878 - VAT incurring product STANDARD delivery 1 £112.72 £20.99 18.62%

The problem is that the total amount of Vat for both the product and delivery cost has been used to calculate the Vat amount and Rate for this order item!?

Second problem:
Putting "NON-VAT product FURNITURE delivery" through the Checkout results in (NO Vat calculation has been applied to delivery which is incorrect):
Step 1 of 2: Create Order
Order Totals
Delivery Total £21.99
Total £134.71

Order Totals
Delivery Total £21.99
Total £134.71

VAT Summary
126925 - NON-VAT product FURNITURE delivery 1 £112.72 £0.00 0.00%

As there was no Vat listed in the Order Totals there is no VAT value to be calculated for this product order item but the Order Totals is still missing the Vat for delivery.

3rd Test show what happens when both products are added to the Checkout:
Order Totals
Item Subtotal ex Vat £225.44
Delivery Total £29.24
Vat Total £20.99
Total £275.67

VAT Summary
126925 - NON-VAT product FURNITURE delivery 1 £112.72 £0.00 0.00%

Two questions:
Do I need to change the field values in the dataset upload for the non-vat product so that the Cart will apply Vat to delivery of that product?  If so, what value do I put in the field?

What setting do I change in admin or php code to stop this from happening -
Delivery Total £7.25
Vat Total £20.99
Total £140.96

VAT Summary

The problem is that the total amount of Vat for both the product and delivery cost has been used to calculate the Vat amount and Rate for this order item!?

I'm wanting to put my shop live this week so a speedy reply would be much appreciated.

#3 01-21-2010 16:28:18

mysoftware
Website

Hi

Did you get a solution if this was an issue please?

Visit wwwMy-Software.co.uk - World Leaders in Personalised Gift Making Software

#4 01-22-2010 10:04:59

kev

Hi

No, I have not had an answer to this show stopping error...

I don't want to mention the word bug as I am sure there is a setting soemwhere in EuropaCart to stop the Vat Summary breakdown from adding the vat from delivery to the vat assigned to the product and causing the product's vat amount to be too much and the associated vat rate to become 18.62% ans so on.

#5 01-22-2010 10:45:39

mysoftware
Website

Oh lets hope somebody from Kryptronic is able to shed some light if it is an issue as we will find out shortly when we start testing those areas.

#6 01-23-2010 08:22:16

kev

From a previous post by Nick:

"For the 20.053%, I assume either your rate is higher than 17.5% for the item or its options, or shipping may be taxable.

The actual rate shown is supposed to be the actual rate - not the standard tax rate."

Yes, shipping is taxable.  But, the tax associated with the shipping should not be applied to the order line item for the product - this results in Vat Summary displays like 18.62% for the Actual Rate whch is clearly wrong.

Am I the only Vat registered business in the UK using EuropaCart or is there a setting somewhere in admin to get the cart to realise that the Vat Summary for an item should not include the vat value of the delivery which distorts the Actual Rate of that line item? 

There is no wiki entry or 'getting started' documentation for setting up VAT and I am finding the admin system to be NOT user friendly for setting Vat up.

I like a lot of things about EuropaCart but I have to say that CCP6 UK is a lot easier to configure for Vat purposes. 

I noticed from another tread mention of a 'taxship' setting but can't find this in admin? Does this setting wherever it is stop the Vat Summary from adding the delivery vat amount to order line items?

#7 01-24-2010 13:34:10

kev

Found taxship in core_stateprov but this doesn't solve the delivery vat being added to the product line vat rate in Vat Summary display.

I'm just gonna keep reposting this thread to the top of the posts until I get a solution to this VAT Summary issue as I've been paying hosting costs for the last 2 months but still can't put my shop live because of this vat summary issue/bug ?

#8 01-25-2010 03:28:47

mysoftware
Website

kev wrote:

Found taxship in core_stateprov but this doesn't solve the delivery vat being added to the product line vat rate in Vat Summary display.

I'm just gonna keep reposting this thread to the top of the posts until I get a solution to this VAT Summary issue as I've been paying hosting costs for the last 2 months but still can't put my shop live because of this vat summary issue/bug ?

Hi

Please give me step by step what you, and also your shop link and I'll test the same using the install I am working on to see if same issue appears.

#9 01-25-2010 08:58:38

kev

Hi,

Thanks for offering to test this for me but I've put the shop live this morning with the Vat Summary disabled.  This probably means that my shop order receipts are not valid for UK VAT purposes. 

I'm hoping that Nick (I think he wrote the VAT code for EuropaCart from what I see on the forum) will eventually enlighten me on how to correctly setup VAT in EuropaCart so that the delivery vat amount isn't included on the item line or admit its a bug/release a code update to correct what's happening.

Good luck with your implementation of VAT in EuropaCart

#10 01-26-2010 06:44:14

kev

Sites gone live

had first order

no vat summary breakdown because of bug in VAT calculation on order line so VAT Summary switched off

RESULT = order confirmations and admin order details without any record of what customer has bought - great.

Nick, would you please fix the bug in the Vat Summary because it makes EuropaCart unusable?  I know that in previous posts you've mentioned things like Actual Rate which produces vat rates which are not 17.5% and so on, but from a UK user point of view if you show them Vat Rate 18.62% or whatever they will probably just ditch the order thinking that the site isn't calculating Vat correctly.  Vat receipts with these percentages will also cause a stir with HMRC.

It looks like I'm going to have to edit the php code myself to localize EuropaCart for the UK market !

#11 01-26-2010 06:57:44

mysoftware
Website

This bug is also confirmed and not good as HMRC will come down heavy on invoices produced like this, when can we get a fix please?

#12 01-26-2010 07:02:19

mysoftware
Website

Ok please confirm Kev if the following is the same issue you have:

On Order summary invoice it says:

Item Subtotal: £4.75 (this is correct and includes VAT)
Delivery Total: £2.91 (this is correct and includes VAT)
Country Tax Total: £0.83 (this is wrong as the VAT included in the above two is £1.14)
Total: £8.49 (this is wrong as the VAT has been added to this, when the VAT was already included in the Item Subtotal and Delivery Total)

Cheers

#13 01-26-2010 07:20:00

mysoftware
Website

Ok after some playing with the many VAT settings, I now have the following, and can now explain the problem I have:

I have the following Items in my cart:

Total         VAT        Actual Rate
£3.36        £0.59     17.560%
£0.68        £0.12     17.647%

Ok actual rate cannot be shown as 17.647% etc. it has to be the real rate which for my client is 17.5%

and then the Order Totals on the Checkout show as follows:

Item Subtotal £4.04
Delivery Total £2.91
European Union VAT Total: £0.71

Total £7.66

This is wrong as my subtotal already includes the VAT and so does the delivery but for some reason it is adding VAT to the total again.  Another thing is I have a custom shipping script which adds VAT to the shipping price and this is not included in the VAT Total

Please let me know how to fix this urgently.

#14 01-26-2010 08:30:33

kev

Hi mysoftware,

You seem to have noticed the same as me about Vat calculations in all of the XHTML includes for checkout, order emails and order confirmations.

I've also messed about with all of the settings in admin, changed my dataset upload fields for taxcountry, taxclass, stateprovtax or whatever it is etc etc to get vat to display correctly. 

The EuropaCart apps Vat settings are influenced by table field values, admin settings and Include script calculations which makes it difficult to know what to change without having a negative impact on another part of the app.  My solution implemented this morning was to enable Vat Summary displays in Tax Settings and I also removed the 'Vat' and 'Vat Rate' columns from the 5 XHTML Includes so at least the customer isn't seeing incorrect information.

#15 01-26-2010 10:30:37

mysoftware
Website

I've emailed Kryptronic direct hoping they get chance to see this thread as this makes CCP 7.1 not usable for our current client who is VAT registered sad

#16 01-26-2010 17:31:52

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Are we to understand that there is a requirement to charge VAT on delivery (when enabled for the EU tax country) for items that are tax exempt?

Nick Hendler

#17 01-27-2010 04:09:23

mysoftware
Website

webmaster wrote:

Are we to understand that there is a requirement to charge VAT on delivery (when enabled for the EU tax country) for items that are tax exempt?

Ok let me try to explain in a simpler way:

I have emailed a support ticket (SB00000753) with login details to site so you can see our settings in the admin area.

Ok but here goes, we have settings set in the admin area so that our cart prices include VAT and we are using a custom shipping script (but doubt that matters).  Below is how to see the issue:

We place an order as below for 1 x AB1 and 1 x N1 products which will show the below on the order summary:

£3.36        £0.59     17.560%
£0.68        £0.12     17.647%

Ok actual rate cannot be shown as 17.647% etc. it has to be the real VAT rate which for UK eg. is 17.5%
and then the Order Totals on the Checkout show as follows:

Item Subtotal £4.04
Delivery £2.91
European Union VAT: £0.71
Total £7.66

And the above European Union VAT says £0.71 however this is wrong as it should also have the VAT added from the Delivery.  And the Total is wrong as it should not add the VAT to the Total if VAT is included in the cart prices.

Now it is best to show as below:

£3.95        £0.69     17.5% (i know £0.69 is not exactly 17.5% of £3.95 but this is how UK VAT Invoices have to be shown)
£0.80        £0.14     17.5% (also notice £0.69 and £0.14 as you had £0.59 and £0.12 which was wrong as you calculated this from the price excluding VAT, even though our cart prices include VAT)

Item Subtotal £4.75 (includes VAT)
Delivery £2.91 (includes VAT)
Total £7.66 (this is Item Subtotal and Delivery added together)

European Union VAT: £1.34 (this is VAT calculated from the Total of £7.66 which is £1.34)

You need to do it this way else you will always get rounding errors in various situations.  The above method is fool proof for when users have the admin like us set to show prices including VAT.

#18 01-27-2010 04:25:28

west4
Website

Hi Nick,

If Delivery is VAT chargable then it is irelevant whether the product is vatable or not. eg. childs clothes are VAT FREE but printing onto childs clothes is Vatable and the shipping is Vatable.

so...

Child Clothes = £6.00 VAT FREE
Print = £0.60 + VAT @ 17.5%
Shipping = £2.50 + VAT @ 17.5%
Total = £9.10
VAT = £0.54 (2.5 + .6 x VAT)
Grand Total + VAT = £9.64

Cheers,
Bruce.

Last edited by west4 (01-27-2010 04:29:24)

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal labotomy.

#19 01-31-2010 05:01:45

kev

Hi Nick,

"Are we to understand that there is a requirement to charge VAT on delivery (when enabled for the EU tax country) for items that are tax exempt?"  You're correct that tax exempt products should generally not incur vat on the delivery charge.  But, the issue with the Vat Summary display is about a checkout item  'Actual Rate' and 'Vat' amount which is displaying as percentages that are not 17.5% or 0% because of the way in which those display values are calculated.

What is the global variable name for the VAT amount of a particular product and that particular product's vat amount within the 5 XHTML Includes for the checkout summary scripts?

Seems to me that a quick fix for the Vat Summary display issue is to just use the VAT amount variable value for a product i.e. 17.5%, 0.0% or whatever.  And also display the Vat amount for that product. 

As the cart does not include the delivery amount as an order line item it doesn't need to be included in the 'Actual Rate' calculation.

Would you please provide an answer to "What is the global variable name for the VAT amount of a particular product and that particular product's vat amount within the 5 XHTML Includes for the checkout summary scripts" so that I can make the changes to the 'Vat Summary' code because my shop is live and I need to show a correct Vat Summary to the customer.

Cheers,
Kev

#20 02-01-2010 07:06:31

ZipSkins
Website

Bruce, Kev,

Your responses to Nick's question don't seem to be saying quite the same thing, which will confuse him I suspect!

As a UK-based but non-VAT-registered business, I am not sure which is correct!

Nigel

| Professional Quality Customisable Skins for your ClickCartPro Powered Site

-----------------------------
Certified Support Partner

#21 02-01-2010 10:52:15

west4
Website

Hi All,

Delivery charge on any product...If you are charged VAT by your courier then you have to pass that on to the customer, or build it in to the product price, (so VAT free goods would have a little 'delivery' vat on them anyway).

We sell Child's Clothes, printed or unprinted...the clothes are VAT free but the printing 'if they choose to have it' is VATable, When we deliver the clothes we are charged the same price plus VAT for printed or unprinted by our courier, and we pass the VATable amount on to our customers.

Quote: Postal services provided by the Post Office are exempt from VAT, but this exemption does not extend to similar services provided by other suppliers, even where this might be seen as being in direct competition with the Post Office. However, if any delivery charge you make to your own customers includes the cost of stamps you buy from the Post Office you may have to charge VAT on the whole amount including the cost of those stamps. :End Quote.

If you are a VAT registered company you have a duty to collect the VAT for the government and you have a duty to charge VAT to your customers. The VAT is not some kind of profit for you. If you do not collect the correct VAT then it comes out of your companies pocket.

I would also like to see the official VAT rate showing on the receipt and not the actual amount, as the actual amount should be as near as the official amount as rounding permits. Any average over a group of items, some VATable and some not is irelevent to the consumer, and in fact would confuse them as this is not normal in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bruce.

#22 02-02-2010 06:45:45

mysoftware
Website

Hi Nigel

Be in touch for more skins soon as finalising these 2 sites.

Ok so we pass the correct information to Kryptronic if West4 and Kev could contact me Terry directly at sales@my-software.co.uk and we can then all agree what is wrong, what is right for all situations then provide a single post with our findings as I agree this will be much better than 3 of us saying this is wrong that is wrong.

#23 02-02-2010 10:53:49

kev

Hi Terry,

The reason that I've had to turn off European Vat Summary is that the VAT part of the delivery cost is being used to calculate the 'Actual Rate' for the order line item.  Basically, it seems to me that the order line vat calculation is calculated by dividing the total vat in the cart (this includes the vat assigned to delivery) and assigning that amount to the Vat Actual Rate and Vat Amount of that product or products in the Vat Summary dispaly. 

I can appreciate that EuropaCart is designed for the Europen market and I would assume that they deal with taxes differently so perhaps a solution is a test on the tax country in the php code and if UK then just show the vat amount on a product basis and ignore the delivery tax (vat) amount from the order line Actual Rate and Vat Amount calculations.

Cheers,
Kev

#24 02-05-2010 07:29:41

west4
Website

Hi All,

I think this link might be helpful to Nick...

Code:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/BeginnersGuideToTax/DG_4015895

Here we go... We are VAT registered and we show prices without VAT on the web site. At checkout we need to add VAT to products that have VAT on them and not charge VAT on products linked to non-VAT settings, if any non-VAT products have any extras that are VATable then just the extras need to be VAT charged, Couriers charge us VAT and we pass that on to our customers. Only the Royal Mail are allowed to NOT charge VAT on there sales by law (they have an exemption, all other Vat registered companies HAVE to charge VAT), as we do not use the Royal Mail it doesn't effect us. But if we did then that should be reflected in the VAT calculations at checkout for the shipping. UNLESS (the delivery address is outside the UK) the items are being shipped outside the UK then we would not pay the VAT on the shipping and would not pass it on to the customer.

WE need to see the Standard rate of VAT on all documents related to the sale, e.g. checkout, emails, etc. displaying an average rate of VAT is not only misleading to us and the customers but may lead to lost sales and possible infringements of the law.

If we sold one item at standard rate and one at the reduced rate and one at zero rate, we would like to see the rates listed by each item in the checkout and email receipts. If all products are the same VAT rate then a simple VAT Total is all that is required.

Each product and product option has a VAT drop down box, the calculations should be made from that drop down selection and be easy to combine different rates within the same product. the same for shipping if the shipping is set to VATable the vat should be added to the shipping if not VATable then not added.

There are three VAT rates in the UK at the moment including.

Standard rate

You pay VAT on most goods and services in the UK at the standard rate, which is 17.5 per cent.

Reduced rate

In some cases, for example children's car seats and domestic fuel or power, you pay a reduced rate of 5 per cent.

Zero rate

There are some goods on which you don't pay any VAT, like:

food
books, newspapers and magazines
young children's clothing and footwear
special exempt items - for example equipment for disabled people

Although each EU country has its own rates of VAT.

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Bruce.

Last edited by west4 (02-05-2010 07:46:35)

#25 02-09-2010 05:24:52

kev

Has anybody heard from Kryptronic about a fix for the bug in the Checkout VAT Summary displays and email order summaries?

My site is live and taking orders, but I have the Checkout VAT Summary turned off because it produces incorrect Actual Rate VAT details.

Is anybody at Kryptronic taking this issue seriously as it was reported almost a month ago and a fix hasn't been posted to the forum?

I am currently preparing the data for another shop and am wondering whether I would be better off with CCP6 UK version because it is actually customised for the UK market !

Board footer