Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 10-04-2009 00:39:51

OutcastGirls

Updating to 7.1

I'm planning to update to 7.1 and I'd like to know if I need to make a backup copy of index.php, admin.php, installer.php, or other files? Is there anything that could go wrong with the update? Any advice is much appreciated.

#2 10-04-2009 01:42:37

dh783
Website

Re: Updating to 7.1

If you can it's best to make a copy of your private_dir, this is what I do before any upgrade mostly because I have so many mods that I need to implement into the new code, the public_dir generally doesn't get changed much but you can make a copy of that two if you want. I make a copy of my private_dir (giving it a different name) run the upgrade then rename the new codes directory and then rename my copy of the older files back to what the original name was, giving me time to adjust any core scripts that I need too to get my mods back up and running. This works well if there are no major database changes, if there are major changes then I don't run step thirteen (update the database) until I am ready to comment to the new code.
If your updating for version 7 to 7.1 you shouldn't have any problems.

John

#3 10-04-2009 09:21:42

OutcastGirls

Thanks John,

So should I save the copy of ccp7-private in the root directory and give it another name? I do not understand the technical lingo.

It would be nice if Kryptronic provides a step-by-step guide for people who are not professional site developers.

Also, what does  mean? What codes I'm supposed to rename?

An this:  - I'm totally confused now sad

Last edited by OutcastGirls (10-04-2009 09:38:32)

#4 10-04-2009 12:27:27

dh783
Website

The update instructions that Kryptronic provides is all you need to do, unless you have modified any core scripts, and by that I mean any php files or includes that are contained in the private directory.

Let me try and explain better what I do. Lets say that my private directory is named ccp7, I will duplicate that directory so I now have

ccp7 (current running directory)
ccp7 copy

I will then run the installer to up date the files, I then rename my directories

ccp7 becomes ccp7-new
ccp7 copy becomes ccp7

I now have a site that is still running on the older php scripts, at this point I go thru the core scripts that I know that I have modified and check to see if they have been changed. When they have been changed, I go thru those script and re-input my modifications adjusting them to the newer code if I have to so that I can get my site back to the way I want it to operate. Once I have completed my updating of the new code I will then rename my directories again:

ccp7 becomes ccp7-old
ccp7-new becomes ccp7

I then run test sells on the newer code and see if I have any problems, If I do have problems that I conceder major ones I will then re-name my directories again so that the site is running the older code while I adjust the newer codes to address any problems. I go thru this process until I am satisfied that I no longer have any problems with the new code, when that happens I will the delete the directory ccp7-old and run the new code.

This is just what I do, if your running a stock version of ccp, one with out modifications to the core scripts then all you need to do is what is posted in the update instructions, but if you want a fail safe to fall back on then you can just duplicate your private directory, if you have enough storage space on the server that you running on, so that in the event something does happen you can at least get the site back to it's old form.

John

#5 10-04-2009 12:37:34

OutcastGirls

Thank you, John. That was very helpful. I appreciate being patient with me : )

Board footer