Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 12-03-2008 23:06:36

stage

Upgrade from MySQL4 to MySQL5

For some time my host has been recommending that I begin using MySQL5.  Now they say the developers of MySQL are ending support for 4 on 12/31/08, and my host may suspend use of it at any time after that.

They have a conversion tool and an faq for converting existing 4 databases to 5.  It looks straightforward enough.  It says:

"The process will duplicate your MYSQL4 data and will convert and import it to a MYSQL5 database. Your old MYSQL4 database will remain intact and you will still be able to use it."

So once I do the above, how do I tell CCP to begin using the new database instead of the old?  Do I change a path somewhere or something?  And is there a problem using MYSQL5 with CCP5.1?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan Kahn

#2 12-04-2008 08:17:26

rachaelseven
Website

Re: Upgrade from MySQL4 to MySQL5

I honestly don't know how CCP will or won't work with MySQL 5.  To use the new database, you'll need to go into the CCP admin and convert all the tables back to CSV mode.  You can then disconnect the database and reconnect using the new information.

Rachael Katz
- Custom Focusing Screens for DSLR Cameras

#3 12-04-2008 08:19:08

Dave

The version of MySQL really shouldn't matter.  Version 5 is backwards compatible with version 4 so anything that works with 4 should be fine with 5.

#4 12-04-2008 09:07:14

stage

Please tell me how to disconnect the old database and connect the new database, after I switch CCP to CSV mode, and convert my database from 4 to 5.

Thanks,
Nathan

#5 12-04-2008 11:27:14

rachaelseven
Website

It's all under the CCP admin area, Database Utilities section.  Once you have set the tables back to CSV mode, using the Manage Table Data Sources utility, you can select the Configure RDBMS Connection utility to complete the database change.  With all the tables in CSV mode, you should get an option there to edit the connection to the database.  You'll need the host name for the database (often localhost if the DB is on the same machine as the web server), the database name, and the username and password for the DB user (probably set up by the host).

EDIT: Corrected incorrect procedure.

Last edited by rachaelseven (12-05-2008 13:05:11)

Rachael Katz
- Custom Focusing Screens for DSLR Cameras

#6 12-04-2008 17:58:48

stage

Okay I made the change and everything is fine.

For the reference of those who may have to do this in the future:

1)  After converting everything to CSV, there is no "disconnect" option under "Configure RDBMS connection".  Instead, it informs you that there are no tables running from the RDBMS and therefore you are free to edit the current connection.

2)  Regarding host, it was "localhost" for the old MySQL4 database, but according to instructions from my host I was to use "localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock" for the new MySQL5 database.  But it didn't work.  It said couldn't connect using the username/password I entered, which I confirmed were correct.  So I put in a support ticket at my host and they came back with:

localhost:mysql_socket=/tmp/mysql5.sock:

which they said was "to "trick" the DBI->connect function in the /library/common/database.pl to connect to the MySQL 5 database."

And that did work.

FYI,
Nathan

Board footer