Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 08-18-2008 04:05:43

posnpretty
Website

How to set up Color & Size options like this site?

I am working on the Trial version of CCP6, and I am using the Quick Start Guide in the CCP6 User Manual. So far, I have created the .csv files to bulk upload my categories, products, product options, and product option selections.

It's the product options and product option selections that have me troubled. In the examples, product options are spoken of only in terms of PC features/hardware. My products are clothing items (garments) and most of the clothing is offered in many colors and sizes. I don't understand how to set up the options to decline my inventory when the options themselves are not physical items.

What I want to do is set up my products to display on the item page mostly like this top in a working site using CCP6: http://shop.edenproject.com/go/product.aspx?id=5230

From the User Manual, I don't see instructions on how to set my products up this way. Note that the selection of a color alters the available selection of sizes.

Was this site custom-modified to work this way? Due to this working site, I was confident that CCP6 would work in this way. I just need to know if I am going to have to pay someone to customize the cart for me (I'm just barely familiar with HTML).

Thanks for your advice; I hope I've sufficiently explained my problem.

Cyndi

#2 08-18-2008 04:43:37

zanart

Re: How to set up Color & Size options like this site?

That isn't a CCP site.

Rob

#3 08-18-2008 04:53:35

posnpretty
Website

zanart wrote:

That isn't a CCP site.

Well, if it isn't, then why is it listed on the Online Demo page for Click Cart Pro 6?
https://kryptronic.com/Shopping-Cart-Software-Demos

Scroll down to the heading "Live Sites Running ClickCartPro 6.x", then scroll down to "The Eden Project". If you click on the link "Visit the Eden Project", it will take you to the Eden Project Shop's home page. From there, I clicked on the category "Clothing & Accessories" and clicked on the "Fragile Earth Organic Cotton T-Shirt". This takes you to the URL that I listed above.

Cyndi

#4 08-18-2008 06:57:19

zanart

Kryptronic need to update their website.

Maybe they could put a link to my site instead!!!!

Rob

Rob

#5 08-18-2008 07:01:46

Dave

I've sent a note to Nick with a link to this thread for his consideration/action.

#6 08-18-2008 07:13:21

zanart

Not sure if it will help but there are more UK based sites listed here:

http://www.clickcartpro.co.uk/index.php … r_websites

Rob

Last edited by zanart (08-18-2008 07:13:51)

Rob

#7 08-18-2008 07:57:31

posnpretty
Website

Dave wrote:

I've sent a note to Nick with a link to this thread for his consideration/action.

Okay, so now what? Does this mean I CAN'T create product listings with the features I want for Color and Size selection?

BTW - The Eden Project is listed on the uk ccp website as well. Also, I'm using the US version, not the UK.

Thanks,
Cyndi

#8 08-18-2008 08:19:07

zanart

I think what you require is your Product Options to also have options i.e.

Colour: White -  Size: 14 - Stock Level 2

Size: 16 - Stock Level 0

Size: 18 - Stock Level 4

Colour: Blue  -  Size: 14 - Stock Level 8

Size: 16 - Stock Level 2

Size: 18 - Stock Level 6

Colour: Green-  Size: 14 - Stock Level 3

Size: 16 - Stock Level 12

Size: 18 - Stock Level 1

That would require a custom modification which you would need to submit a request to Kryptronic for on their website.

A way around it would be to have each colour variation as a seperate product. This way the only option would be the size for which you can add an inventory level for each size option.

Rob

#9 08-21-2008 03:51:31

posnpretty
Website

zanart wrote:

I think what you require is your Product Options to also have options i.e.

Colour: White -  Size: 14 - Stock Level 2

Size: 16 - Stock Level 0

Size: 18 - Stock Level 4

Colour: Blue  -  Size: 14 - Stock Level 8

Size: 16 - Stock Level 2

Size: 18 - Stock Level 6

Colour: Green-  Size: 14 - Stock Level 3

Size: 16 - Stock Level 12

Size: 18 - Stock Level 1

That would require a custom modification which you would need to submit a request to Kryptronic for on their website.

A way around it would be to have each colour variation as a seperate product. This way the only option would be the size for which you can add an inventory level for each size option.

Thanks, zanart. I had thought of that solution as a last resort (better than listing every color and size as separate listings ala eBay). But it still requires a lot of work to get my Excel spreadsheet converted into the separate .csv files. I played with it for a long time and still didn't have a good solution.

I finally submitted a support request, and was told that the 'only' way to accomplish inventory tracking at the option level was to use a combined option of color/size.

So, for example, the Basic Tee:
The option selections would be:
black - small
black - medium
white - large
white - extra large
and so on...

I'm disappointed in that response. I was only worrying about the cost of the modification, and not expecting to be turned down completely.

I had seen that workaround in another CCP6 live site, and I'm not fond of it. Sure, if there are only 2 or three colors and five sizes, that might be okay. But, my Basic Tee comes in 50+ colors AND up to five sizes. So that would make the drop-down selection list very long to scroll through.

I much prefer that the customer can click on the color they want, and then the size, as it is in most online clothing retailer webstores.

Cyndi

#10 11-10-2009 13:11:25

RSW

has there been any progress on this issue?
I too sell clothing and have installed the CCP demo and am testing it.
This capability is a PRIMARY feature requirement for me.
I need to know if there is a system for handling this ASAP... my demo doesn't last long (15days is 1/4 of the 60 CScart gives)

thanks

#11 11-10-2009 13:58:05

posnpretty
Website

RSW - As far as I know, there will never be anything done with Click Cart Pro to allow multiple variables. I get the feeling that Kryptonic feels not enough customers need this feature to make it worth the trouble to code it in.

Still, I would like to hear from someone at Kryptonic that eventually this WILL be a feature in a future version of CCP. Maybe a module that can be purchased separately? Pretty please?

In the nearly two years I've been watching the CCP forum, I have seen many requests from other clothing vendors who desire this feature. I wonder how many sales of CCP have been lost to all the ones who never ventured onto the forums and just bypassed CCP as an option for their online shopping cart?

#12 11-10-2009 14:09:55

RSW

I agree, I have been lurking here in and out for over a year..
I have seen some interesting development directions (POS) yet other fundamental things left untouched.. I get the feeling that they are more inclined to produce a solid framework for Ecom and take contracts for customization as their business model.... which makes this system useless to me as a small business that can't afford 3rd party custom development right now...
too bad they market and price the system to attract small business.
I guess I will uninstall my demo and move down my list (upgrading to PHP5 right now) and test another.
I did really like how technical this system is since I am a developer as well and felt I would be able to work with it nicely

#13 11-10-2009 14:15:17

posnpretty
Website

How about developing the module yourself and then market it to other small businesses like me??

As noted in post #9, Kryptronic turned down my request for a custom quote. They appear to be completely uninterested in working on this feature.

#14 11-10-2009 15:14:05

RSW

I'm not in a position right now to take it on, as I don't know the system well enough to take on this task yet, and my priority is the redevelopment of my current shop.
Sorry

but thank you for the replies, I appreciate your help.

#15 11-10-2009 16:15:31

Dave

posnpretty wrote:

As noted in post #9, Kryptronic turned down my request for a custom quote. They appear to be completely uninterested in working on this feature.

I don't see anything that indicates your request was turned down. You were offered an alternative which, in your case, was apparently not satisfactory.

That said, I spent 5 months on a project that seems to come close to what you're looking for (take a look at http://www.awishcometrue.com/ecom-prods … S013L.html) but without inventory management. Getting to that point was a HUGE amount of work and there was very little of the base CCP code that wasn't touched by the time it was done.

I'm not trying to defend the response you received just trying to point out that it's a major architectural hit to CCP to accomplish what you'd like.

#16 11-10-2009 16:56:16

posnpretty
Website

Dave, thanks for posting. Here is the response I received regarding my custom quote request last year:

Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 11:10 PM
Subject: Re: Kryptronic Level 2 (Advanced) Support Quote Request (SA00000113)

This is in reference to your ticket numbered SA00000113.  If you need to reply to this message via email, please do not change the subject line of the message.  Reply:

I am sorry i misunderstood the question.
Click Cart Pro does not handle product options in this manor and would be very difficult to replicate. I would recommend possibly creating your product as the main category and assigning your shirt colors as the product.I recomend using the multiple add to cart layout for this Tshirt category.  Then just apply the available sizes as normal product options. this will allow for your products to be viewed in it's proper color and be managed equally as well.

you can see a similar example here:
http://www.dogbedking.com/ccp0-catshow/OB106L.html
This is not an exact comparison but it' is using the category as a product method.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
James R.

Level 2 (Advanced) Support Desk
Kryptronic, Inc.

So you're right, I didn't actually get "turned down" but no quote was ever given to me, either. To me, sending an alternative suggestion and NOT sending a quote gave me the message that Kryptonic felt it wasn't worth the effort to figure a quote.

Thanks for the link to your project. While it does offer both color & size variables, it wouldn't work for my situation. That website is for ordering multiple sizes of one color such as for teams or recitals. It would work for bridesmaid gowns as well. The lack of inventory control may not be an issue for this type of online ordering, as I imagine the seller orders new items as needed from their vendor(s).

In my situation, inventory control is imperative due to having only one each of any item to sell and no way to restock that particular item. As a seller, I can't afford to make customers frustrated if I don't have an opportunity to take down a product the moment it is sold (such as while I am away from the computer or if email is slow, etc.).

And I do appreciate that five months on one project is a huge investment of your time and most probably is way out of my price range.

But the problem I'm having with the alternate solution of using a category as a product page and having each color a separate item is in making the category look and act like a product display page. I became so frustated in working on this last year that I abandoned it and have not been able to get motivated to work on it for over a year now.

I really thought ClickCart Pro was going to be my answer to freeing me of eBay's tyranny and excessive fees. However, the frustration of working on CCP without having any technical experience is monumental. I want the cart to work, but obviously it's not since I have yet to finish working on it.

Last edited by posnpretty (11-10-2009 16:57:53)

#17 11-20-2009 18:46:25

sppars

I don't know how feasible this would be to apply to a clothing e-store, but we had a similar situation where the price was dependent on a 3 option branch. Meaning option C's price was dependent on option B, which was dependent on option A. It was a struggle to figure out how to do this within CCP and my solution ended up being the following:

1. Setup the main item as a "Not for Sale (Display Only)" and create a standard detail view for these main items.
2. Create a "subitem" with it's ID almost identical to the main item and have option C as it's options. (Therefore, the ID for the subitem would be something like: main-item-option-C)
3. In the detail view of the main item setup links using the main item ID string to add "option-C" to the end of the string. Display those links for the subitems in the detail view.

This would allow the customer to view the main item as a display item and then based on the options they want they would select the appropriate link and be directed to the subitem and it's options. This resulted in a complex web of key identifiers we had to create since we have a 3 branch option but so far customer's have had not complaints (we went live a week ago and sales are on pace to our previous setup - remote add with ccp 5.1). You can view it in action here .

This does require a significant amount of planning and work but I think the end results are worth it. Even though we don't use it, this method would allow for the inventory management to remain intact as well as all other core functions since this would only be a manipulation off CCP using the Display Only function of the cart. I can go into further detail if anyone is interested in this setup.

Board footer