Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 05-29-2008 14:55:08

Guest85

Product Data Export showing up in one column only

When I export the ccp0_prod I get all the products in an Excel Spreadsheet but they're all in a comma delimited list in one column (A). So now I have like 23,000 rows!! I've exported and imported products before. I'm sure I'm overlooking something. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

#2 06-03-2008 12:05:41

Guest85

Re: Product Data Export showing up in one column only

No one seems to know what the issue is or maybe have an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

I've read the wiki regarding this and here's what I'm doing to export the data:

-------------------------

Home > Hyrbrid X Core > Database: Connections... > Raw Database Admin

Find ccp0_prod

Click Export

Default CSV filename is: ccp0_prod_dataexport.csv

Columns to export: all checked

No export criteria (SQL)

Export Order: id - ASC

Submit

Ready for dl....click here

Right click...save as

Save it as ccp0_prod_dataexport.csv

Open with Excel 2000

----------------------------

ALL product information is in the "A" column vertically.

Rather than horizontally in seperate columns like: id = column A, name = B, prodnum = C, pricestatus = D, regprice = E, etc.

---------------------------

I'm not sure if this is a setting issue with CCP, Excel, or my computer but any help is appreciated.

Thanks for help in advance.

#3 06-03-2008 12:19:44

Dave

Sounds like an Excel issue/problem.  Have you tried opening Excel first then, from within Excel, using File-Open to open the saved file?  If you look at it with a text editor does it look like what you'd expect a comma separated file to look like (fields enclosed with double quotes and a comma between fields)?

#4 06-03-2008 13:38:35

dh783
Website

Well I know when I go to open a ccp export in Excel and after setting all documents in he drop down list I get a opening screen which ask what type of file it is which I have to select delimited and then on the next page select comma separated then finish which gets me the database. As a note I run Excel on a Mac.

John

#5 06-03-2008 14:28:51

Guest85

Thanks for your help Dave.

Yes, I've tried opening Excel and then doing an open file.

Using a text editor to open the just downloaded .csv file the file does not look like a normal comma separated list. It looks more like an HTML file. There are css styling properties like font styles, colors, sizes, etc. In addition to table properties (height, widths, colspan) and image info (like path, height, etc.).

--------------------------------

I'm assuming the file is the problem and not Excel. Therefore, all the info below is probably irrelevant until we figure out why it's exporting the file with the table and css info. The information below is provided for someone who comes across the same problem with their data looking similar.

--------------------------------

A couple issues I've noticed after exporting to Excel.

The cells are merged into columns A and B. So to change any column properties you have to unmerge the two. After that, by selecting the entire column with all the data (A) and going to Data > Text to Columns, excel has chosen "fixed width" for my spreadsheet rather than "delimited". I've tried clearing the column width with no success. There's an option in the Text to Columns to change to Delimited but this totally screws up the spreadsheets organization. Meaning, the text is spread out over 50 columns A-BZ or something and the information below these columns in row A1, B2, etc. have scrambled. For example, each word for a products description is spread out over many columns rather than the paragraph being in one cell.  It's like Excel doesn't recognize what separates the columns and rows.

I've checked to make sure Excel and Windows Regional settings are using the comma , as the separator and not a semicolon ; like other countries use.

Last edited by Guest85 (06-03-2008 14:33:22)

#6 06-03-2008 14:31:20

Dave

Ah, on a Mac.  It may be related to the line end characters in that case but I'm afraid I don't know that for a fact nor how to address it.

#7 06-03-2008 14:32:05

Guest85

Thanks John. What version of Excel are you using because I don't get the option to choose Delimited upon opening the file. The file just opens. Not sure if this is a setting that has to be set or if Excel automatically recognizes the file beings I'm opening it in Excel and it's a .csv file. Maybe a little different because you're on a MAC using a different version and I'm on a PC. Not sure... Thanks for the assistance though.

Last edited by Guest85 (06-03-2008 14:32:50)

#8 06-03-2008 15:15:07

dh783
Website

It's Excel for Mac os x service release 1 or it's the only info on it I can find. If your file ends in .csv try changing it to .txt  or something that excel doesn't recognize and then open it in excel which may cause it to ask what kind of file it is.

John

#9 06-03-2008 16:00:49

Guest85

Changed the file to .txt.

Opened Excel and then opened up the new .txt file.

No prompt. Excel opened the file like it was a normal Excel file and it is still all messed up. LOL

Maybe the way CCP exports the file is corrupt?

Board footer