Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 05-11-2008 11:38:37

BigDog
Website

Website comments requested

I would like anyone who has a minute or two of free time to take a look at my website and give me your comments.

After being live since Jan 21, 2008, I have not had anyone respond to anything I try to promote sales, comments, feedback, contests, etc.

I really am open to any comments. Without feedback I don't know which way to go or what to try next.

Change design layout?
Change graphics/pictures? (is the picture I use for "Click Here" to give feedback to "hickish"? I was trying to add humor.)
Less text?
More text?
Less humor? (well, I am trying but without feedback, who knows?)  roll
I think the site categories are easy to understand and make it easy to find products.
I have the About Us page and About Them page for added humor.

I believe my product pricing is comparable when I compare to similar sites.
I am using Google AdWords and I am getting the clicks but no one gives feedback or purchases.

A cry for help from the jungles of e-commerce.

Comments requested.  hmm

SITE:   http://www.silveronionjewelry.com

BigDog

#2 05-11-2008 14:58:43

celdirect

Re: Website comments requested

Hi

BigDog

One thing that could be a big cause is that you site took nearly 1 minute to load and viewing other pages you have a blank screen for up to 30 seconds before it loads-  Most people will leave in less than 8 seconds.

As for Adwords - it can be hit and miss and you need to correct keywords - if its costing you a lot and not getting SALES - STOP IT!

The Splash page need more wow - less writing (put that on another page with a link from the 1st if people want more info) 

Get you pictures of items above the fold of the screen  you have about 8 seconds to stop a surfer and get them to stay interested in your products.

Less is more - just look at newspapers front page - its that make you pick up and buy the paper.

#3 05-11-2008 15:31:32

Dave

In the FWIW column the load time may be the result of the trans-Atlantic hop Charlie.  From here his landing page loads in about 3 seconds.

#4 05-11-2008 16:23:41

BigDog
Website

Hey Charlie, thanks for taking the time to have a look and your comments.

Load time seems to very. Like Dave said, normally it loads fast on this side of the pond but I sometimes have to wait for it to load also.

More Wow cool on the splash. I kind of wondered about that also.  Just like the song says, "a lot less lot talk and a lot more action" might be what helps.
I have been thinking about how/what to do about that.

BigDog..

Last edited by BigDog (05-11-2008 16:24:12)

#5 05-13-2008 07:14:35

makesachange
Website

Hi BG,

I found it loaded veeeery slowly here (UK).  Far slower than I would expect even for a US site. 

The front page didn't hit me fast as being a jewellery website.  Def more images, less writing.  The photo on the right may be amusing but doesn't sell jewellery so I would ditch it.

Pricing seems ok.

I would try to make images the same size - looks neater.  Mine aren't at the moment either but I'm working on it.

Hope this helps,
Emma

The Organic and Fair Trade Baby Boutique

#6 05-13-2008 11:00:48

BigDog
Website

Thanks Emma. That helps also.  Can't do much about the slow load time across the pond. Like Dave said, loads quickly on this side.

If I add more images and more Wow, that increases the amount of data on the first page that has to be transmitted. That is against all recommendations I have read about keeping the page size small in amount of data to load.

Recommendations I have read said to keep the first page under 100k of data to allow it to load quickly. Heck, that is just one or two relatively small graphics.

I would like either more or larger graphics on the landing page BUT that would slow down the loading even more.
Removing the text is next to nothing on amount of data. I feel like the first person with this problem.

I will figure out what to change my "staff photo" to. Maybe a picture of some whiz bang jewelry.

I definitely appreciate you taking the time to look at my site and make some comments.
Getting another perspective is definitely helpful.

Anyone else feel free to jump in with your comments about anything you see on my website.

BigDog..

#7 05-13-2008 16:41:00

BigDog
Website

Okay folks, made some changes as suggested.

1.  Removed a bunch of text on splash page.
2.  Changed the picture for Contact Us from the old time picture to a picture of jewelry.
3.  Changed some of the items listed in the Featured Items selections.
4.  Changed the Featured Items from two wide to three wide and from ten items to fifteen.

Ready for the next round of comments and suggestions.  big_smile

BigDog

#8 05-13-2008 17:06:13

celdirect

hI,

a GOOD START -

Still too much text get rid of it and just leave

"Welcome to Silver Onion Jewelry!

We are located in the scenic and rolling hills of Tennessee. In this serene and relaxing location amongst the trees, deer and turkeys, we design and create beautiful, handcrafted 14k gold-filled or sterling silver jewelry just for you. Just relax and take your time as you browse our on-line store and read about us. Please come back often to see what new varieties of stones, gems, beads, glass, shell or bone we have included in each new piece of jewelry we create for you."

and the new image you put in place of the old people make it smaller.

As for the name silver onion - if it a technique for making the jewellery? if so keep it - if not bin it or change the logo if your going to keep it - it looks old and not in keeping for what you sell.

Last edited by celdirect (05-13-2008 17:06:50)

#9 05-13-2008 18:58:53

BigDog
Website

Glad to see you are still hanging around the forum Charlie.

Are you saying I should also delete the text for my contest? What about the one sentence stating I have over 400 items? Delete that also?

Developing a new logo will be a bit harder. Do you have any suggestion for graphic software that I could use to create a new logo? Something that wouldn't cost me too many quid?

Will rework the size of the graphic. Just reducing it with software causes it to get fuzzy and blur.  I tried a few dozen new pictures I took of different items with different backgrounds and different lighting. Back to the photo studio and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for the input.  wink

BigDog.. 

The company name came after spending many, many weeks of research on existing business names and websites.

#10 05-13-2008 20:23:21

celdirect

Hi,

This is going to sound harsh -

Has your contest worked? anyone taken the offer? if not get rid of it - as they are not interested in 25% off nothing they are interested in.

You seem to have good products and passionate about them, let that shine through.

You need to step back and realise that a web store is not that much different from a brick and mortar store.

its great that you have 400 products - but who cares? do you have the one product the customer wants?

How many sales have you had with this site?

I am harsh, but if you want to make this work, someone has to say this, wish someone did to me 3 yrs ago as it would of saved me thousands.

As for photo software - there is loads of free stuff on the web - like paintdotnet  its ok - adobe photoshop elements is better but around £70

As with the company name - do you really think that having onion in a name that is for jewellery right?  I love onions (& garlic) but with jewellery, onions just does not fit.

Your products are wow! - I see this as i have spent time looking, to try to help you - but when you get to the site for the 1st time there is no wow.

Most people will come and leave in 8 seconds.

- You are doing well - lets move it up a pace and you will see a great difference!

#11 05-14-2008 05:32:54

makesachange
Website

DB, I really think what you've done makes a huge improvement.  But I have to agree on the following:

- Still too much text.  Specifially, explaining what the button to the right of the text does is too much text (image should do this itself - images and a 1,000 words and all that).  Then saying people have to read a load of pages first will put people off bothering - it's too much hassle.  You're better getting the same question 100 times than implying you'll only answer it if people have already read a load of other stuff.  Also email subscriptions could be much smaller - eg:

"New - email updates! Subscribe to our email list to stay up to date about new stuff and great offers.  We do NOT sell, rent, lease or allow anyone to see our email subscription list. It is so secret, sometimes we can't even find it when we want to use it. "  This keeps the humour as well.

The point about too much text is not loading time but reading time.  People don't bother.  If you're walking down the high street you will notice that every shop window has things, not words - and any words are short and sweet.

- Loading times.  You're right, it's not a problem if you're focusing on US markets but it could indicate an underlying hosting problem as this site loads much more slowly than other US sites.

- Logo - says to me you sell deli goods.  Why confuse people?

- Name - onions are smelly and sticky and not something you would wear.  Therefore mental images don't match products.  Maybe consider changing it?

- Maybe getting rid of enough text so that the images of your products are seen without scrolling would help.

What I do like:

- Lots of products on front page does mean you can see what you sell quickly, albeit after scrolling.
- Nice and easy to understand left hand links
- Neat layout

I really think this should work.  What sort of hit rates are you getting onto the website?

Emma

The Organic and Fair Trade Baby Boutique

#12 05-14-2008 08:16:18

wyattea

I'll provide some comments - i haven't read all of the other comments so that mine are unique to my thoughts and not influenced by other opinions.  I'll be honest as you've requested so forgive me if I'm insulting smile

First point - how many unique visitors do you get per day?  Expect 0.5 to 1% conversion (guesstimate) considering it's a competitive market and there's lots of competition. That's assuming the traffic you get is targeted.  i sell gift baskets and every day I get someone who types a postal code into google and visits my site because of it.  There's a remote chance they'll be buying anything. But if they type 'gift basket delivery in toronto', they have a better chance of converting to a sale.  So with adwords, you should get 50 to 100 unique visitors per day to get 1 sale.

Second point - maybe i'm biased because I know what a stock cart install looks like but you haven't even bothered to make the site unique.  Even if I don't know how a cart looks without customization, it's usually obvious how much effort someone puts into designing their site.

Third Point - i'm in Canada - I tried 3 different links, first link, i hit cancel after 1 minute, 2nd link, i hit cancel after 30 seconds, 3rd link, i hit cancel after 20 seconds.  I could not get past the index page.  Your server must suck smile  I checked your nameservers...you're using IXWEBHOSTING it appears.  I used to use them but they suck, so I cancelled.  Get a free 'site uptime' checker for your site.  I knew they sucked when I would get 5 to 10 notifications a day that they couldn't connect to my server (you setup an account and it automatically tries to connect to your site every 15 minutes).  Ixwebhosting kept claiming the server was up and working fine but the site uptime checker was proof it wasn't. type 'site uptime checker' in google.

Regardless of ANYTHING, traffic determines sales for the most part.  The nicest site in the world will get no sales if it has no traffic and the ugliest site in the world will get sales if it has lots of traffic (a competitor of mine proves this point smile).  I notice from your source that you have no stats program code installed (e.g. Google Analytics, web-stat.com, etc.).  I hope you know what keywords are being used to visit your site..  And what PAGES those visitors are visiting on your site.  If you don't know whether they are leaving your site from the index page or if they visit 20 pages then leave, you have a big problem with respect to figuring out what your customers want from you. I tried some obvious keywords in google and did not see your site listed.  What keywords are you targeting and could that be the issue.

HTH,

James..

#13 05-14-2008 10:40:06

BigDog
Website

Don't worry about insults. I can handle it.

1. Traffic. I have Webalyzer (not sure on spelling) and Modlogan. Both give same stats, different layout/colors. Visits per day is between zero and maybe 25 on a perfect day. Avg 15. Pretty dismal.

2. I started working with CCP6 about Aug 1 2007. Site went live about Jan 21, 2008. I spent about six months of blood, sweat and tears (hey, sounds like a good name for a band) just to get what I got. Frustration level was extremely high just to get what I got. I am using FireFox Developers Tool bar but that still seems like an awful lot of trial and error to figure out how to change colors and layout in the CSS. I spent weeks trying to figure out what fields have what names and how to change things. What fields have what color codes, etc, etc...   Where things are even located in CCP6 (same complaint as most others, lack of manual to at least give a starting point to look for how/where to do something). Yeah, I wish I could make a snazzier, flashier layout, but I don't have another six to twelve months to invest. I will try to change what I can, but if things don't improve soon, I will just shut down and give up. Payoff business startup costs as best I can.
After 6 months of working on site development, I gave up and accepted what I have.  sad

3. IX Hosting. They just moved their whole operation from Hopkinsville Kentucky to Columbus, Ohio the last weekend of April. Suppose to be a lot better. So far, I think it got worse. I never had these slow loading times before their move.

4. With the Webalyzer stats I can see what people are searching on, where they came from (like the CCP user forum or Google). Also what exit page. Seems like a lot of stats. I browse them quite often.

5. I am (on temporary hold) using Google AdWords.  One day I got 15 clicks on my ads. That was a one time thing. Most days 2 to 8 clicks. I have about 30 to 40 words/phrases in use. I add and delete words/phrases as I see if they are working or not working. Change the ad wordings also. Still, pretty grim on the click-thru count. My keywords cause my ads to be displayed a lot so people are searching on my keywords, just not getting a high click-thru. I have been increasing my maximum cost-per-click gradually to see if that helps without having to take out a bank loan to pay for it.

What do others think is the max I should pay per click. 5 cents? 10 cents? 50 cents? 75 cents?  After 40 days, I've had about 200 clicks to my site from my ads.

I am still working on the site every day. Right now I have removed the the two hot button areas I added. One for Contact Us and the other for Order Questions. I want to add the Order Questions form button to the existing (CCP6 default style) buttons at the top of the page. But, I am lost. Can't figure out how to do that. Removing my buttons on my splash page eliminates that extra text. But, spending days again to do something simple is frustrating.

Wow! That was a lot.  roll

BigDog..

#14 05-14-2008 11:21:05

celdirect

Hi,

The site is looking much better.  You are getting there - don't give up

Next stage is to get the traffic in - (this takes time)

One thing I can see is your product links have no description in them _ I am not ofay with v6.0) but i thought that it has seo links in it - can someone help here with that (i am still on v5.1)

Search around the internet for shopping portals and alike and post your web url and details to the free ones to get you links out there.

Then you will need to work on adwords (which is easier said than done - but not impossible.) 

Good luck

#15 05-14-2008 11:34:37

Dave

Something is going on with your host BigDog.  I just tried to hit your site again and it took a solid 30 seconds to return the page.  Looking at the execution time it took almost 5 seconds just to generate the page which is unheard of.  Pages should be able to be built in less than a second most of the time with 1 or 2 being "extreme".

#16 05-14-2008 11:42:55

wyattea

Ok, I'll reply based on your points.

1. good, it's a start, and for the amount of traffic you get, good enough.
2. I'm done my customization, the early part is the hardest but now i'm pretty comfortable with how it looks, how to fix things.  consider it a learning experience that helps in the future.
3. INSTALL an 'site uptime' checker and have it check every 15 minutes - SAVE the emails to a folder so you can FORWARD THEM to ixwebhosting.
4. good
5. you think you should be paying under a buck for JEWERLY adword keywords? expect $1 to $2 and not in the top 3 for that price (for the right keywords) - it's ecommerce and you're competiting with ZALES and other bazillion dollar companies.

worry only about getting traffic right now - my suggestion from a business standpoint is this (please excuse my frankness):

if you want to sell 'jewelry' - QUIT NOW - your a small fish in a big pond and there are too many big fish.  if you want to sell 'SOMETHING', then pick something that is unique - a niche market like shark teeth jewelry where it's only a category on a competitors site and not their main theme. I have no idea if there's such a thing as 'shark teeth jewelry' but my point is research types of jewerly that are popular (maybe organic, or holistic for example) - find out if there competiton through adwords.  doing searches in google.  If there are 5-10 competitors with adwords that are TARGETTED (not someone who is paying for 'jewelry' and all variations but competitors who have their ads targetted to that niche market and that'll tell you if THEY'RE willing to pay for traffic, it must exist!

type 'donkey feces' in google. there are no adwords, because you can't make money off it. type 'holistic jewelry' and there are 4 ads - still not enough...you want closer to 10 because then you know there's competition and traffic and you can work on beating them.  who cares if you're number 1 if nobody's searching for something.  you'll need to do research and figure out what's a good market and can you work in it.

<i type in a 'train of thought' fashion so excuse the slopiness :>

Regards,

James...

#17 05-14-2008 11:55:00

Dave

Amazing the hits you get when you Google for donkey feces smile smile

#18 05-14-2008 12:05:16

BigDog
Website

Thanks  James. Still good comments and recommendations.

Dave, I will check with my hosting service.  See what is up. Maybe some problems after their move. I thought it seemed slow also. Sometimes worse than others.

Charlie, I have been doing that. Submitted months ago to DMOZ. Tried twice. Still waiting.  Got listed in NOMOZ.org. Looking for others. Reading ecommerce sites also for insight.

This is still a great forum to get help.

Now to figure out how to get the feedback.ordernum form installed as a button  like the others in ecom skin.php. 

$link_contact
$link_account
$link_checkout

#19 05-14-2008 12:09:34

Dave

BigDog wrote:

Now to figure out how to get the feedback.ordernum form installed as a button  like the others in ecom skin.php.

The  is your friend.

Code:

<a href="<?php echo $this->link_namespace($app,'dynform',array('ref' => 'formname')); ?>" title="Form Title Goes here">Click here for the dynamic form.</a>

formname is feedback as shipped with CCP.

#20 05-15-2008 07:00:24

BigDog
Website

I checked with my hosting service. They said another site on the same server was hogging the server time. They said they fixed the problem. My site seems to load faster now. If it happens again, they told me to call instead of opening a trouble ticket so they can track it down quicker.

#21 05-15-2008 12:34:43

BigDog
Website

Well, a few hours later and it is happening again.   sad   Called in. They checked. They said it looks like the database server is going up and down. They reopened my trouble ticket. It is affecting several websites.

#22 05-15-2008 12:42:31

Dave

Gosh, I'd be looking for a better host by now.  There is no excuse for things like that to be happening in todays hosting environments sad

#23 05-20-2008 17:48:45

BigDog
Website

Well, after five days my hosting service still hasn't fixed the problem. Seems like they "forgot" and my trouble ticket hasn't been worked on. So, sometimes it takes up to two minutes to load my site.

I sure am having my run of bad luck. Site compromised and scrambled. Hosting service hammering me. Paying for Google AdWords but people can't load my website. Other stuff I don't like to think about.

This e-commerce, webmaster stuff sure is lots of fun.  tongue

Maybe I should get a gravy job like Dave and only work 20 hours a day and everybody loves what you do for them. Ain't that right Dave?  lol

BigDog..

Board footer