Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 12-13-2007 18:41:03

jeffcoll101

Search Engines

I just submitted my site to google.  Google will crawl the splash page?  Should I create an index page or any static pages?  Hoping by the cart pratically being the site, to avoid having to create html pages.

#2 12-13-2007 18:58:13

Perkster
Website

Re: Search Engines

Google will crawl all but one should have a robots.txt file placed in webroot directory just to help.  If you go to google and in search field type: site:linuxcdshop.com you will see what google has indexed in a matter of days.  My site went live on Dec 6 2007 and it has even indexed old urls I had..  Google likes this cart and will follow everything.  Also do a search in this forum for sitemap.xml and you will see code that I have done to help google.  Open a Google webmaster account and place sitemap in there..  sitemaps really help.  I wish my sitemap code could index a bit more like category urls but I am no coder just a sometimes good editor.. smile 

Go to http://www.linuxcdshop.com/sitemap.xml.gz to see my sitemap.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Perkster (12-13-2007 19:01:05)

Mike Perks
Linux CD Shop - /shop for Linux distributions

ReviewLinux.Com - Linux OS News & Review Site

#3 12-16-2007 20:30:25

jeffcoll101

I had clickcartpro tiki and bought a module for the google sitemap.  It was great.

#4 12-16-2007 20:41:54

jeffcoll101

I just did a search for my domain on google and nothing showed up.  I submitted the url to google about a week ago.  Should I be concerned?

Your sitemap code looks awesome and overwhelming.

#5 02-07-2008 06:02:32

Silk
Website

I bought a PHP sitemap script from xml-sitemaps.com really, really good script and dirt cheap too. Very impressed.

#6 02-07-2008 11:08:53

Perkster
Website

Very cool looking script from that site.  I might just buy it to have a look.. smile

Mike Perks

#7 02-07-2008 13:51:50

wyattea

I have the script from xml-sitemaps.com - very good, fast. I recommend it.

James...

#8 02-12-2008 03:34:59

Silk
Website

Did you buy it after Mike? I had it installed and working in about 10 mins.

#9 02-12-2008 12:41:54

Perkster
Website

No I havent bought it..

Mike Perks

#10 04-17-2008 10:34:47

makesachange
Website

Google seems to have crawled most of my pages (although it needs to get rid of old ones which it isn't purging) but still isn't displaying them, despite them being pretty keyword heavy (I don't think overly so).

Any idea?

Thank you!!

Emma :-)

The Organic and Fair Trade Baby Boutique

#11 04-17-2008 10:54:47

Perkster
Website

Your sites well in google.

Do a site:makesachange.co.uk in google search and you'll see.

Mike Perks

#12 04-21-2008 05:46:28

makesachange
Website

Hi Mike,

That's what I did, so I know it's crawled me (although many pages are out of date).

But, it's just not showing me on organic listings - at least in a decent position - on important things like "organic cotton baby clothes".  Any ideas what I can do to improve my ranking as I have done everything I can think of!!!!!

Thank you!
Emma

#13 04-21-2008 09:23:57

Perkster
Website

Do you have a Google Webmaster Tools Account?  Its a great resource.  Set up your sitemap.xml and you can monitor your top Search Engine Queties.  Getting up in ranking takes time but I have found that it helps to have the best "Title" you can think of for your products which you have.

It then helps to have those products listed or linked from other sites with a Good Google PageRank.  This in my opinion is key to where you stand in Google.

I sell very unique items and I advertise off a site that is a PageRank of 5.  This helps me out alot and most of my popular products get listed very high in Google.  Now I am not competing with alot of web sites either like you maybe.

Hope this helps

Mike Perks

#14 04-21-2008 19:22:14

wyattea

i know you can get a google sitemaps account and upload your sitemap, (i have one), but is there a way to do it with yahoo and msn?  I'll be implementing my cart in a couple weeks and would like to avoid the ton of 404 errors i'll get (7 year old site, lots of established links with old urls)

James...

#15 07-25-2008 10:26:13

makesachange
Website

I was just looking into this again and I'm wondering whether the reason that my rankings have dropped is this.

Most of the pages that Google has listed for me, go to pages which are no longer there.  But, there's no 404 error, but there is a dynamically generated page from CCP saying that there are no items to display:

http://www.makesachange.co.uk/gbu0-cats … .html.html

Now, the Fluffle (nappy) is one we no longer sell, so this is actually correct.  However, there are other items which I have changed the product name of to attempt to improve Google listings, meaning that the original product is still available but under a different name, therefore a different URL.

But, Google won't know this, it will just get to the page, see no text on it to do with the keyword, therefore drop me down the rankings.

What's the solution?  Replace this page with a basic 404 so Google drops it?  I would prefer CCP to be able to dynamically take the customer to a "similar sounding" page.  Is this possible?

Some of these items have not been available for over 6 months and I'm sure that Google is not that long changing its database.

Emma

#16 04-07-2009 07:38:12

thezazzi

Hi

Perkster wrote:

Google will crawl all but one should have a robots.txt file placed in webroot directory just to help.

What should a robots.txt file look like?   A coded example would be a great help.

Thanx

Rob.

#17 04-07-2009 07:47:23

Dave

#18 04-08-2010 09:54:05

landovabe

good site " Dave " thx

|   |  | 

#19 05-06-2010 02:48:25

GalvinBrown

That's issue of indexation..Indexation is simply related on relevant search engine index.It is nothing but getting optimum pages in whatever the search engine.The variation of ranking is the effect of Indexation.Here are few points for batter indexation:
Tamplets with fresh navigation
Rewriting titles and meta tags
Relevant Authority Backlinks

Mistakes are the portals of discovery

#20 07-18-2010 22:54:34

vbsaltydog
Website

makesachange wrote:

I was just looking into this again and I'm wondering whether the reason that my rankings have dropped is this.

Most of the pages that Google has listed for me, go to pages which are no longer there.  But, there's no 404 error, but there is a dynamically generated page from CCP saying that there are no items to display:

http://www.makesachange.co.uk/gbu0-cats … .html.html

Now, the Fluffle (nappy) is one we no longer sell, so this is actually correct.  However, there are other items which I have changed the product name of to attempt to improve Google listings, meaning that the original product is still available but under a different name, therefore a different URL.

But, Google won't know this, it will just get to the page, see no text on it to do with the keyword, therefore drop me down the rankings.

What's the solution?  Replace this page with a basic 404 so Google drops it?  I would prefer CCP to be able to dynamically take the customer to a "similar sounding" page.  Is this possible?

Some of these items have not been available for over 6 months and I'm sure that Google is not that long changing its database.

Emma

Use an htaccess file and mod_rewrite rules to redirect your old product urls to the new product urls with a 301 permanent redirect directive and Google will purge the old urls from their index.

Latest CCP 7 XMods Available:

Board footer