Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#26 03-13-2008 08:18:14

wyattea

Re: SEO Concerns

How did the ATS mod do it then?  They said it couldn't be done either (to remove directories) but then the p-, i- and r- indentifies solved it.

having my htaccess file in /khxc/ is working fine, so I'd rather leave it there and not 'mix' my two site' files.  Too easy to forget later on smile

#27 03-13-2008 09:04:05

theblade24
Website

Given the fact that those directory references can't be removed, why not use them to your advantage?

/Reference/, /Category/ and /Product/   >>>>    /gifts/    /basketgifts/   /babygifts/

or really any keywords that are beneficial to you?

CCP 5.1
CCP 5.1
CCP 5.1

#28 03-13-2008 09:18:46

wyattea

because we have flowers, and candy bouquets and other things...i'll think of the best option i guess within the confines of this limitation...

#29 03-13-2008 20:53:00

wyattea

Dave, why am I getting this URL for the contact us page: mydomain.com/khxc/ccp0-contact/KHXCseo.php when the rewrite rule says:

Code:

RewriteRule ^Contact-Us.php               index.php?app=ccp0&ns=contact         [L,PT]

James...

#30 03-14-2008 03:23:46

Dave

Did you use an underscore or a dash James (Contact-Us versus Contact_Us)?

#31 03-14-2008 05:52:30

wyattea

I changed all of your code examples names to dashes and .php....was that bad? (I prefer dashes)

#32 03-16-2008 07:27:17

wyattea

Dave, any ideao why I'm getting mydomain.com/khxc/ccp0-contact/KHXCseo.php  for my contact page and possibly others?  I just noticed this one too: http://www.grenvillestation.com/khxc/cc … XCseo.php.

Regards,

James...

#33 03-16-2008 07:38:02

Dave

Paste the related portion of your changes to KHXC_Display and your .htaccess file.  It's impossible to guess what the problem might be without seeing what you're using.

#34 03-16-2008 07:48:20

wyattea

Ok, here's what I changed:

KHXC_Display.php:

Code:

$href_url .= $app . '-' . $ns . '/' . $ref . '.php';

$href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-catshow/','Category',$href_url);
     $href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-prodshow/','Gift',$href_url);
     $href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-display/','Reference',$href_url);
     $href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-prodspec\/KHXCseo.html/','Store-Specials.php',$href_url);
     $href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-prodnew\/KHXCseo.html/','New-Products.php',$href_url);
     $href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-prodall\/KHXCseo.html/','View-All-Products.php',$href_url);
     $href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-prodidx\/KHXCseo.html/','Product-Index.php',$href_url);
     $href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-prodbest\/KHXCseo.html/','Best-Sellers.php',$href_url);
     $href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-prodsearch\/KHXCseo.html/','Advanced-Product_Search.php',$href_url);
     $href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-contact\/KHXCseo.html/','Contact-Us.php',$href_url);
     $href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-viewcart\/KHXCseo.html/','View-Shopping-Cart.php',$href_url);

My .htaccess file is:

Code:

Options +FollowSymLinks
        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteRule ^c-(.*)\.php                  index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=$1  [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^i-(.*)\.php                  index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=$1 [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^r-(.*)\.php                  index.php?app=ccp0&ns=display&ref=$1  [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^Store-Specials.php           index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodspec        [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^New-Products.php             index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodnew         [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^View-All-Products.php        index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodall         [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^Product-Index.php            index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodidx         [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^Best-Sellers.php             index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodbest        [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^Advanced-Product-Search.php  index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodsearch      [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^Contact-Us.php               index.php?app=ccp0&ns=contact         [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^View-Shopping-Cart.php       index.php?app=ccp0&ns=viewcart        [L,PT]
        RewriteRule ^(.*)-(.*)/(.*)\.php          index.php?app=$1&ns=$2&ref=$3         [L,PT]

My preferences are dashes over underscores, and .php over .html so I changed those.

James...

#35 03-16-2008 08:15:51

Dave

I don't see anything wrong and the rewritten URLs would actually work.  However, I don't see you using any of the other pages as links on your site so they may actually have the same problem (other pages being specials, new products, view all, product index, best sellers, advanced search).  I'll guess that it may be related to your changing of the .html that's added to the URL to .php instead.

FWIW the links across the bottom of the splash page don't agree with their titles at all (though I suspect you already know that).

#36 03-16-2008 08:20:41

wyattea

so then I'm screwed if I want to use ssi because it needs .php extensions? I hate .html extensions...

#37 03-16-2008 08:21:41

wyattea

i have no intention of using the specials/new prods/best sellers, etc...I display them on my splash page for convenience, but they aren't pages that can be visited.

#38 03-16-2008 08:25:09

Dave

wyattea wrote:

so then I'm screwed if I want to use ssi because it needs .php extensions? I hate .html extensions...

Huh?

#39 03-16-2008 08:26:12

Dave

wyattea wrote:

i have no intention of using the specials/new prods/best sellers, etc...I display them on my splash page for convenience, but they aren't pages that can be visited.

I don't see them on your splash page.  The links at the bottom I was talking about are testimonials, privacy policy, etc).

#40 03-16-2008 08:32:57

wyattea

Yeah, I haven't made the pages yet...well, I made the privacy policy page but haven't linked it yet...i'm not worried about the links until I'm happy with the appearance (logo is placeholder, not finished design).

when I look at a site, I personally decide whether it's a business with staff or a home job. It's the little things like .html or the url structure that I notice.  I want .php extensions, not .html.  Assuming it ain't getting fixed, what's the issue with SSI code? I can't use ssi with .html extensions right?

James...

#41 03-16-2008 08:39:23

wyattea

I just noticed that my KHXC_Display.php file makes the references to 'Category' for categories and 'Gift' for products...but my htaccess file shows -c and -i:

Code:

RewriteRule ^c-(.*)\.php                  index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=$1  [L,PT]
RewriteRule ^i-(.*)\.php                  index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=$1 [L,PT]

I don't understand the difference...my category and product urls display this way:

Code:

mydomain.com/khxc/Category/Valentine-Gift-Baskets.php
mydomain.com/khxc/Gift/Valentine-Gift-Basket-True-Blue-005100.php

the -i and -c don't get referenced so what's the point of those two lines above in the htaccess file? THe KHXC_Display.php code is what's being applied?

James...

#42 03-16-2008 09:20:31

Dave

wyattea wrote:

when I look at a site, I personally decide whether it's a business with staff or a home job. It's the little things like .html or the url structure that I notice.  I want .php extensions, not .html.  Assuming it ain't getting fixed, what's the issue with SSI code? I can't use ssi with .html extensions right?

I must be completely missing something.  A file extension means nothing to a consumer and they are much more likely to try something with .htm or .html than they are .php (they'd probably never try that actually).  SSI and PHP are very different things and I don't understand how they come into this equation at all.

If you present .html to your customer it's going to be rewritten to a CCP style call by .htacess anyway.

#43 03-16-2008 09:21:33

Dave

wyattea wrote:

I just noticed that my KHXC_Display.php file makes the references to 'Category' for categories and 'Gift' for products...but my htaccess file shows -c and -i:

Code:

I don't understand the difference...my category and product urls display this way:

Code:

mydomain.com/khxc/Category/Valentine-Gift-Baskets.php
mydomain.com/khxc/Gift/Valentine-Gift-Basket-True-Blue-005100.php

the -i and -c don't get referenced so what's the point of those two lines above in the htaccess file? THe KHXC_Display.php code is what's being applied?

You added them so I don't know why they're there smile

#44 03-16-2008 19:53:35

wyattea

I know ssi and php are very different things...but if my extension is .html, I can't USE ssi if I want to (i might have a third party script to include on my site) - doesn't matter that I don't right now, I'm guaranteed not to be able to use it if my extensions are .html right? My current site couldn't use SSI because of it's extensions and that was a big limitation for some upgrades I want to do.

Ok, I think the point is that I'm just stubborn and don't like .html as an extension...it's very 90's smile But if I have to choose between keeping .php and having some pages KHXCSeo.php or whatever in the URL, that's fine since all my categories and products are displaying correctly. I don't like it when something is written correctly but isn't displaying as expected.

I don't remember adding them, I'll look again and remove them smile

#45 03-16-2008 20:50:54

wyattea

ok, maybe some of my pages (including the contact page) aren't being referenced properly because my 'termsofuse' page is correct.  Here's the code that calls both:

Code:

<p class="skin_footbutton"><a href="<?php print $link_contact; ?>" title="Contact Us">Contact Us</a></p>
<p class="skin_footbutton"><a href="<?php print $this->link_namespace($this->globals('khxc.app'),'display',array('ref' => 'termsofuse')); ?>" title="Terms of Use">Terms of Use</a></p>

Terms of Use URL = mydomain.com/khxc/Reference/termsofuse.php
   Contact Us URL = mydomain.com/khxc/ccp0-contact/KHXCseo.php

I can see how the contact page reference in the code above is different from the Terms of Use...maybe I called it wrong (don't remember if I did it or if that was what i copied originally).

Any ideas how to make contact us use the Reference style url and not /ccp0-contact/KHXCseo.php? (and where do I get the reference for calling things - e.g. i treied 'contact' with the same URL for terms of use (replacing 'termsofuse' with 'contact') but that didn't work.

James...

Last edited by wyattea (03-16-2008 20:54:13)

#46 03-17-2008 03:25:59

Dave

wyattea wrote:

I know ssi and php are very different things...but if my extension is .html, I can't USE ssi if I want to (i might have a third party script to include on my site) - doesn't matter that I don't right now, I'm guaranteed not to be able to use it if my extensions are .html right? My current site couldn't use SSI because of it's extensions and that was a big limitation for some upgrades I want to do.

Server Side Includes function independently of the extension and are handled and configured at the server level so the extension you use shouldn't matter.

#47 03-17-2008 03:27:01

Dave

wyattea wrote:

Any ideas how to make contact us use the Reference style url and not /ccp0-contact/KHXCseo.php? (and where do I get the reference for calling things - e.g. i treied 'contact' with the same URL for terms of use (replacing 'termsofuse' with 'contact') but that didn't work.

You can't.  Reference is used for web pages and contact us is, obviously, a form and has it's own namespace for processing.

#48 03-17-2008 06:21:16

wyattea

What I mean is what is the URL I'm supposed to be using to reference the contact page? What is the URL I'm supposed to be using so that the htaccess file will 'convert' to the seo url?  The contact url is supposed to be "Contact_Us.html" according to your changes in the htaccess:

RewriteRule ^Contact_Us.html              index.php?app=ccp0&ns=contact         [L,PT]
$href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-contact\/KHXCseo.html/','Contact_Us.html',$href_url);

So what is the URL I should be using?

James...

#49 03-17-2008 06:28:22

Dave

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question James.  As may be seen by the rewrite rule the non-SEO style for contact us is index.php?app=ccp0&ns=contact and there is no reference to reference (which gets rewritten to display).

Within skin.php you may simply use something like:

Code:

<a href="<?php print $link_contact; ?>" title="Contact">Contact</a>

since the $link_contact variable is created in skinfunc.php and available.

#50 03-17-2008 06:39:44

wyattea

Ok, so I'm using

Code:

<p class="skin_button"  id="skin_button_last"><a href="<?php print $link_contact; ?>" title="Contact Us">Contact Us</a></p>

So why am I getting this url:

Code:

http://www.grenvillestation.com/khxc/ccp0-contact/KHXCseo.php

when I'm using this in my KHXCDisplay.php and htaccess files:

Code:

$href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-contact\/KHXCseo.html/','Contact-Us.php',$href_url);

UPDATE:

While typing this, I noticed that my displayed URL was KHXCseo.php, while the KHXCDisplay.php file showed KHXCseo.html (.html instead of .php) so I changed the KHXCDisplay.php file to use this:

Code:

$href_url = preg_replace('/' . $app . '-contact\/KHXCseo.php/','Contact-Us.php',$href_url);

and now I get this url:  http://www.grenvillestation.com/khxc/Contact-Us.php

Bingo smile

James...

Board footer