Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 11-29-2007 00:25:13

Perkster
Website

Currencies to PayPal

I have always just used USD for my site but now with ccp6 being able to convert to other currencies I am having to learn something new.  How do I pass the currency amount that I give straight thru to PayPal without as it is doing right now converting back into US funds.  Example a customer uses CAD funds and has a CAD fund acct at PayPal.  Currently ccp60 passes the USD amount to PayPal even if I did convert it to CAD on online store??

Mike Perks
Linux CD Shop - /shop for Linux distributions

ReviewLinux.Com - Linux OS News & Review Site

#2 11-29-2007 13:43:51

Perkster
Website

Re: Currencies to PayPal

Bump...  Since I am using currency converter on site at http://www.linuxcdshop.com/index.php and default currency is USD I have noticed that for PayPal it passes only in USD funds to PayPal.com?  If a customer switches to CAD it still passes the price as USD to PayPal.com.  Is this the way it is?

Mike Perks

#3 11-29-2007 14:45:52

slydog

I believe that it only changes the display values so the customers don't have to calculate the exchange themselves. How are you updating that function? It does not keep itself up to date you know -- and exchange rates fluctuate constantly.

#4 11-29-2007 16:13:44

Perkster
Website

Yes updating by going to XE.com if I use it but since it really is only an internal function kinda useless actually if it doesnt pass to PayPal in the funds that a customer may want to see.

I could see this being helpful if I wanted to give a better exchange rate than lets say PayPal.  For instance when it converts to USD funds and then passes off to PayPal in USD funds it is totally possible for that customer to Pay more than what was esitmated in the currency converter on my site.

Really kinda useless and not well done.  Should change to whatever funds are being asked to convert to by customer and then reflect this in PayPal and pass it on to PayPAl as that currency.

In PayPal I think all I need to do is have balance opened for each currency.

Very un satified with this attempt at currency exchange control..  Unless someone can tell me how to do this and pass correctly to PayPal..

Mike Perks

#5 11-30-2007 13:39:31

Perkster
Website

Is there anyone using ccp60 and currency converter plus using PayPal?  Do customers notice switch back to USD funds if that happens to be default currency?

Oh yeah  BUMP

Mike Perks

#6 11-30-2007 13:49:33

rachaelseven
Website

Payments are passed to PayPal in the default currency.  That is the design behavior of the cart.  Anything else would require a bespoke mod.

Rachael Katz
- Custom Focusing Screens for DSLR Cameras

#7 11-30-2007 13:53:28

Perkster
Website

Thanks for reply.  Where do I get this mod?

Mike Perks

#8 12-01-2007 08:24:39

rachaelseven
Website

You would have to request a quote from Kryptronic.

Rachael Katz

#9 12-01-2007 09:29:40

Dave

Follow  to request a quote.

#10 12-01-2007 09:53:42

Dave

I think it's worth noting a couple of things regarding passing other currencies to a payment processor (not just PayPal).

1.  Unless you update the rates on your site daily they will likely be different than the rates actually used.

2.  The rates you see on the popular conversions sites may be different than what the payment processor uses (probably will be).  That means that somebody, you or the customer, is going to pay too much or receive too little.

3.  Some processors may add a surcharge for conversion to your currency if you process a transaction in a different currency.

Perkster, earlier in this thread you said:

Perkster wrote:

I could see this being helpful if I wanted to give a better exchange rate than lets say PayPal.

I'm curious how you would give a better exchange rate.

#11 12-01-2007 12:51:48

Perkster
Website

Dave wrote:

I think it's worth noting a couple of things regarding passing other currencies to a payment processor (not just PayPal).

1.  Unless you update the rates on your site daily they will likely be different than the rates actually used.

Yes that is correct but if conversion passes exactly what a customer expects ie truly passes in correct currency to gateway what would be the surprise?

The rates you see on the popular conversions sites may be different than what the payment processor uses (probably will be).  That means that somebody, you or the customer, is going to pay too much or receive too little.

Not what we are talking about.  We are talking about a CCP6 store owner setting whatever exchange rate they wish and CCP6 actually passing that amount to a gateway and in my case PayPal

3.  Some processors may add a surcharge for conversion to your currency if you process a transaction in a different currency.

PayPal takes the amount in whatever currency is in the hidden field and handles it accordingly.  Dont fuzzy the issue here.  This is about a customer defined action showing the amount they expect to pay at PayPal.  We as business owners would rather have a customer happy and we'll pick up the costs.  It all balances out in the end but first we need an accurate way to pass currency correctly to gateway

I'm curious how you would give a better exchange rate.

Simple if the converter actually poassed the correct currency to PayPal and your default currency is USD for example I could say that 1 CAD dollars = 0.50 US thus everything on site which is in US funds would equal 1/2 in CAD.  Thats how it works.. smile

Mike Perks

#12 12-01-2007 15:08:34

rachaelseven
Website

As was pointed out by Greenbarn, PayPal is one of the very few gateways to support multiple currencies in that way.  If it were set up as you suggest, then people using other gateways would have similar gripes about it not working for them.  It would also vastly complicate programming if the total to be passed had to change depending on the gateway selected.  So it makes a certain amount of sense to keep the behavior the same across gateways, and since most do not support multiple currencies, one would have to choose the behavior that could be replicated across all... billing in a single currency.

Rachael Katz

#13 12-01-2007 15:47:52

Perkster
Website

rachaelseven wrote:

As was pointed out by Greenbarn, PayPal is one of the very few gateways to support multiple currencies in that way.  If it were set up as you suggest, then people using other gateways would have similar gripes about it not working for them.  It would also vastly complicate programming if the total to be passed had to change depending on the gateway selected.  So it makes a certain amount of sense to keep the behavior the same across gateways, and since most do not support multiple currencies, one would have to choose the behavior that could be replicated across all... billing in a single currency.

Fully understand your point..  but...  I guess I do have a right to complain as it works when a customer pays by check.. smile  Give it a try on my site if you like..  http://www.linuxcdshop.com/index.php Talk about confusing..  Works there but not in a gateway that supports it???  hey really call it what you want.  Just because something is defined by default in CCP6 doesnt mean it has to be that across the board.

Here is what message says about currency:

"Select the currency to be used by this e-commerce application for amount entries. All amounts entered within this application should be made in this base currency. Any active online processing gateways that have currency specifications should be modified to match this setting. Online processing gateways that have currency settings are: PayPal Website Payments Pro, PayPal Standard and WorldPay. Please Note: If you have not activated the Currency Conversion System within the KHXC, make sure this selection matches the System Base Currency entered on the KHXC level."

Thats all fine and dandy but as I have mentioned in ealier postings it is still possible for a user to pay more than what was asked if that user decides to use the CCP6 Currency converter on site.  Why and How?  Because of lack of converting at time of sale processing at PayPal a CAD fund user could end up paying more than advertised price on site.  If CCP60 passed correct conversion rate to PayPal and then and only then can a store owner be sure that his/her customer is paying exactly what was said on site.

I guess what I am saying and I guess what you and others are saying in a way more polite way is YES the currency converter is howky.. smile  The developer has no time to make it correctly pass conversions on a feature that they have added to this cart.  YES it works fine in a Payment by Check BUT DO NOT expect it to work when using PayPal if you want multiple currencies as CCP60 ONLY accepts ONE single currency.  Maybe a special note should be given on site saying.

** If you pay by check just mail in amount if you are browsing site with a different currency that is not the default currency of this site.  Due to how our Online Store works we are unable to guarantee at time of purchase through your chosen payment method that you will pay exactly what was listed on our site.  We hope this has not caused any inconvience and basically we are saying.  Go ahead a look and see what it might be in your currency but basically pay us in our default one.. smile **

I really enjoy all the excuses...  Maybe it will get changed and maybe not .  But when I see it in another cart I begin to wonder.  I do understand the programming concerns but lets remember that the user defines the currency in store so why could that variable not be passed along to hidden field in PayPal??

Mike Perks

#14 12-01-2007 16:07:51

rachaelseven
Website

When a customer "pays by check" they aren't really paying at that point, are they.  CCP is only printing a piece of paper with their information on it.  That is a whole lot different than dealing with a gateway and transaction processing.  I'm not making excuses at all, simply trying to explain things.  I don't even work for or get paid by Kryptronic, so its no skin off my nose.  You have every right to gripe, and if you feel you were mislead, by all means do so.  As a fellow store owner though, I can't imagine why you would want to manage all those currencies anyway.  I mean seriously... have you ever been to a Starbucks that takes Yen?  Or for that matter, even another online store that takes more than one currency?  For all the online shopping I've done, and I do a lot, I can count on one hand the number of sites I've ever visited that took more than one currency.  And as a company that ships 65% of our orders to countries other than the US (where we are based), I haven't found that limiting our transactions to dollars hurts us in any way.  Personally, I would have thought that having a currency converter to give the customer some idea of the approximate cost in their currency was a nice convenience.  But if you feel it is too confusing for your customers, just turn it off.  That's my two cents worth, anyway.  And as I said before, if you want the currency changed in the PayPal form based on the currency converter selection, it sounds technically feasible and could probably be done as a bespoke mod... it strikes me as pretty unlikely to be included in standard versions of CCP though.

Rachael Katz

#15 12-01-2007 16:30:37

Perkster
Website

Good points..  smile  If you could get a coffee poured over the internet you bet Starbucks would take yen.. smile  Huge markup on coffee.. smile

Point taken on Payment By Check but when that check gets to your door you can pretty well know it will be in the currency on the invoice.

I guess I started this quest just to point that it really isnt a true converter.  Doesnt pass properly to PayPal and basically a waste of time... smile  in its current state.  I would see a use for it with PayPal standard if it worked as PayPal does some funky things when they convert to a different currency.

I have bought alot of things with different currencies and there are alot of carts that pass the currency name correctly to PayPal

Well yes I will have it turned off and continue to conform to the one currency and hope for a change that other carts like Zen Cart use which I guess are more forward thinking international developers.

Funny thing to note.  The uk.co version of clickcart doesnt even have the currency converter on their site ( at least I didnt see it ) that says alot about the howky converter.  .uk.co guy had to buy different domains and different licences to run in a few currencies.  Yup that says it all..  Useless addon not needed..

Mike Perks

#16 12-01-2007 16:35:00

Dave

Which of the PayPal payment methods in CCP are you using?

#17 12-01-2007 16:55:54

Perkster
Website

Hi Dave,

PayPal Standard.

Mike Perks

#18 12-01-2007 17:30:52

Dave

I'm afraid you may be setting yourself up for more failed payments than you're used to but it is certainly possible to include the selected currency in the call to PayPal.

In admin under Home > ClickCartPro > Commerce: Orders and Checkout > Manage Processing Gateways click on Update next to the gateway name "PayPal (Standard Method) - Payment Form".  In the "Form Display Code" field scroll down and look for

Code:

$url_bad   = $url_relay . '?payment_status=Cancel&item_number=' . $order['order']['id'];

Immediately below that add:

Code:

$sesscurr = $this->globals('khxc_session.show_currency');
if ($sesscurr != '') {
    $usecurr = $this->globals('khxc_session.show_currency');
} else {
    $usecurr = $this->globals('khxc_settings.' . $app . '.basecurrency');
}

Further down look for:

Code:

$olpform['fields']['HIDDEN'][] = array('name'  => 'email','value' => $order['order']['email']);

Immediately below that add:

Code:

$olpform['fields']['HIDDEN'][] = array('name'  => 'currency_code','value' => $usecurr);

: PayPal only accepts values of USD, EUR, GBP, CAD and JPY for the currency_code.  Anything else will probably cause the transaction to fail.

#19 12-01-2007 17:57:23

Perkster
Website

Thanks Dave...

It worked as far as transfering the correct "FUNDS" but the default CCP6 fund amount showed up at PayPal end and is in the hidden fields.

Example:

Using CAD price 3.66 when transfered to PayPal became 3.70 CAD.  Almost there.. smile

3.70 is USD fund price.. smile

Last edited by Perkster (12-01-2007 17:58:10)

Mike Perks

#20 12-01-2007 18:12:18

Dave

The first part of the change uses a selected currency if one has been selected.  The variable involved doesn't get set unless the user explicitly selects one.  If it isn't set the default base currency is passed.  For the brief look I took there doesn't appear to be any other options available to determine what to send.

#21 12-01-2007 18:20:26

Perkster
Website

I appreciate it this..

So basically we can capture the "Currency Name" ie USD CAD and so on but can not capture the convertered amount even though it does show up in the order completed stage just before passing to PayPal??  You can always test at my site http://ww.linuxcdshop.com/index.php if I do not make myself clear.. smile

Mike Perks

#22 12-01-2007 18:21:02

Dave

Oh wait, nevermind.  It isn't going to work at all.  The only thing switching currencies does is change the price that is displayed.  It doesn't change the actual price that is used everywhere else including what is passed to payment gateways.

#23 12-01-2007 18:28:57

Perkster
Website

Oh well.  I guess without alot of programming anyways..  Good attempt.  and thanks..

Mike Perks

#24 04-03-2008 08:23:58

ndoherty

Hi Guys,

I hope this is not OFF topic. But i have a simialr issue.

Basically my client purchases all of his products in US Dollars.
These products are then sold on their cart in Euro price.

Now rather than having to update all the product pricing depending on the Dollar-Euro echange rate - he would like to be able to use the Conversion Rates in the admin.  So one coversion rate change will update all product pricing.

So my question is:

Is there a way to define a base price and conversion rate - but still ensure that the price displayed and final payment is in Euro.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

#25 04-22-2008 13:46:37

peter_town

HI Dave and Perkster and anyone else,

I have read this currency issue with some horror as my main reason for using Clickcart was the switching of different currencies. I have almost got my cart ready and thought I could simply switch the currency for each country. Eg: I assumed that I could do a 2 for one conversion on pounds and dollars and then all the money would go into paypal in pounds or double in dollars. The only way to achieve this now appears to be a seperate cart with dollar prices and a seperate cart with UKP prices Yen prices etc etc.

Surely I am not expected to purchase a different clickcart licence for each different currency? Can multiple stores be setup within the one domain name for each currency ? If so a quick guide to how will be useful. I cannot believe that this does not affect many customers as when you see a price in your basket you dont expect it to change at payment time regardless of what gateway or payment method you use. If it says $40 thats what you want to pay not £19.74.. I agree that the shop owner is the one who takes control of the price conversion and can bias it how they see fit.  a savvy customer could just shop in UKP if cheaper again this is not a problem.

Thanks,
Peter

Board footer