Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 05-05-2007 20:44:05

makesachange
Website

Deciding whether to upgrade to CCP6

I'm running CCP 5.1 and am tempted to upgrade, just because, although of course I'm waiting for the next update first.

However, a few things concern me, not least the various forum comments regarding the admin area.  I mean, playing on the demo site, even "yes" and "no" options have been changed to "true" and "false" - an indication of the unnecessary opaqueness of the system.

I can also not find a definitive list of features that I would get with CCP6 that I don't have with CCP 5.1 (basic pack - I've added various mods anyway).

Is it worth the effort?  What do I get for it?  Took me about 6 months to get to grips with the basics of CCP5.1, after all!  And I'm not a programmer who can extract every last ounce out of it either.

Emma

The Organic and Fair Trade Baby Boutique

#2 05-06-2007 06:57:54

Litemaster
Website

Re: Deciding whether to upgrade to CCP6

If your current cart does everything you need then use the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" option.

Mike Simpson
wwwdjshopper.net

#3 05-06-2007 07:30:01

rachaelseven
Website

I'm with Mike on this one.  In addition, v6 is tougher for store owners that aren't programmers, compared to 5.1.  So I say "ditto" what Mike said... if it ain't broke...

Rachael Katz
- Custom Focusing Screens for DSLR Cameras

#4 06-08-2007 13:30:20

makesachange
Website

Thanks guys

#5 04-02-2008 12:09:28

mindcorp

I've just purchased 6.0 and wish I hadn't. Cannot believe the opacity of this product. Can't imagine what somebody was thinking with this. Am going to revert back to 5.0 or pay somebody to change everything back. We design and build front and back ends and this is the most needlessly complicated upgrade that looks about as similar as MS Word does to Adobe Photoshop. Is there anybody who has found this to be easier to use? I am seriously thinking about building this from the ground up.

#6 04-02-2008 13:19:23

wyattea

I think it's great and much better than 5.1.  Having said that, the lack of a manual (the 'manual' they call a manual is NOT a manual) is frustrating but fortunately, Dave and others on the forum usually answer every question asked.  5.1 is to 6.0 as ms word is to photoshop...I prefer to think of it as wordperfect 5.1 to ms word 2003.  Major features to consider: all php, xhtml strict compliance, css, seo urls...these are nice to have out of the box.

You HAVE to know html basics to be able to properly customize the cart (unless you want an ugly stock design that has no personality).  I don't technically know php/css/xhtml, but I know enough programming basics to figure out how to edit things (but not write from scratch).

#7 04-02-2008 13:30:23

dh783
Website

Yes mindcorp there is someone who thinks that ccp6 is easier to use and to modify, me!! I have very little problem switching form 5.1 to this version and yes there was a new learning curve since I hand never worked in php before ccp6 but it only took about a week and after that things smoothed out. I have done mods to my site and code that I thought I would have to get someone to do for me but I did them myself in one third the time that I thought it would take. Adding something like a new column in the product database (for example) in ccp6 is way easier than doing it in 5.1, which wasn't that hard to get just the column added to the database but was a major pain getting that column name into the places in the code that it need to be just to even be able to use it. I would say calm down take a deep breath and relax. If your not versed in php find someone who is are start learning but it's a free world and you can do what you want.

John

#8 04-03-2008 07:45:07

Dave

Thanks for your comments mindcorp.

mindcorp wrote:

Cannot believe the opacity of this product.

Would you please explain what you mean with that statement?

mindcorp wrote:

Is there anybody who has found this to be easier to use?

You'll think that I'm biased but when I first saw it I found incredibly easier to use and understand than the Tiki interface.  It is by no means perfect but I've never seen an interface that is.  The adage that you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time comes to mind.

For what its worth the beta testers that first saw the interface "beat up" Nick about it almost from day one.  Since then it has improved tremendously and there is still room for improvement (always will be probably).

As for building it from the ground up, the core, right now, is hard coded to use a specific skin for the backend.  There has been some discussion here in the fora about relaxing that but it's far from trivial simply because there are things that absolutely must be available in the backend to prevent getting into the position of not being able to manipulate things.

#9 04-03-2008 08:15:33

Sc00ter
Website

I'm not sure about 5.1, cause I've never used it. 

But I will say that compared to any other open source PHP cart on the market, CCP v6 has got all of them beat hands down.  None of them have an interface this easy and intuitive to learn from, or manipulate.

#10 04-03-2008 17:55:38

TerryA
Website

I want to put in my two cents here.  If Kryptronic would remember who this software is sold to and listened to them, this would be a GREAT product!  Most people who would purchase this program are small business people.  Most are non-techy and do not have the time to learn how to operate a complex program or one that is poorly designed on the backend, or they do not have the money to hire someone to run their store for them.

A store on the internet has one function: Selling Products.  6.0 does a great job of this as have all of Kryptronics  programs.  What it doesn't do is address the principle function of the backend: filling orders.  This is something that most shopping carts on the market also seem to be lacking in.

The main daily function of a store owner should be filling orders, so the backend of a shopping cart should be set up with this in mind. Make it easy to fill orders without having to jump thru hoops trying to do this function.  Right now, the main function of the backend is to confuse the average person to the point that they refuse to use the program.  I have had most of my customers that were using 5.1 and want to upgrade their cart go to some other shopping cart.  Whether you realize it or not, Kryptronic is bleeding customers when it should be going crazy with new customers.  I have no idea what volumes Kryptronic is doing, but I do know what I am hearing from my customers so that is what I am basing this statement on.

I personally have a store that is doing over $10,000 a month in sales and I am sticking with 5.1 while I either look for a more usable cart or 6.0 matures enough so that it is usable for the average user.  In my case, that average user is my wife who is very non-techy.  I showed her 6.0 and spent hours trying to teach her how to manage the store but finally gave up and went back to 5.1 as she understands what she needs to do.

Again, remember who buys your product and uses it and make it easy for them to do what they need to do on a daily basis, and you will have more customers than you know what to do with!

Last edited by TerryA (04-03-2008 17:58:25)

#11 04-04-2008 15:11:44

Perkster
Website

Great Post Terry!

When I did the switch to CCP6 it was even for me a bit of a learning curve.  The front end of CCP6 is great and there really is no way to complain about it. But lets face it,  the backend sucks..  Where oh where is the USA Batch shipping module.  I saw just recently a new forum area about modifications for CCP6 supplied by a person related to Krytronic.  Lets face it,  those mods were needed for certain people that probably paid for them..  Now if I am wrong I apologize but seriously I have to agree with you Terry that they ( Krytronic ) really do not listen to their customers or at least their customers on this forum when it comes to actual working new mods that are needed by their customers.

I have to admit Dave, does his best to help everyone and he has helped me a great deal,  but I am really tired of hearing the Batch Shipping mod is in the works or in the project cycle.. smile  Come on,  get it done...

I had a recent client just up and leave CCP6 due to it's backend problem..  Yes problems so as we all sit and wait for CCP6 to improve I guess maybe one day we will get our questions answered..  Either tell us it isnt going to happen..  ( Batch Mod ) or actually give us a release date..  smile

Needed I think for CCP6 USA

Batch Shipping Mod
Froogle Mod
Sitemap

Mike Perks
Linux CD Shop - /shop for Linux distributions

ReviewLinux.Com - Linux OS News & Review Site

#12 04-07-2008 18:32:14

Dave

Would an admin interface (for non-superuser accounts) that looked something like this be any better?  This isn't a mock-up but an actual screen shot of something I threw together over the weekend and it works (there are still a couple of minor kinks to iron out).  I don't have any say in whether or not something like this ever gets released but my "home boss" thinks it's a lot better than the default backend. 

There is still a lot of room for improvement but this seems to eliminate some of the confusion and makes commonly used things for a store owner readily available.

https://central.kryptronic.com/public/support/Dave/SimpleAdmin-01.jpg

#13 04-07-2008 20:43:46

wyattea

I like it!

It wasn't until I saw the pic that I realized there's no way to see a summary of anything - # of sales, or orders, along with 'commonly used tasks' - i constantly visit the same locations like editing the all.css file or the skin.php file...

it'd be great if the orders summary (like in the pic) was shown, and we had the option to decide which shortcuts would also be there...for some, mail suscriptions would be important while orders would want raw db admin to be shortcuted rather than having to change to khxc.

James...

Last edited by wyattea (04-07-2008 20:47:20)

#14 04-08-2008 08:03:59

TerryA
Website

It is an improvement, but I don't think that is is going far enough.  What I would like to see is Manage Orders when you first open admin.  Now all you see in the main body of the page is info about the program that you would only use on a few occasions.  You could take a lesson from most of the Windows software and put this stuff under an ABOUT selection in the menu.  IF there is upgrade or other important news, you could have it pop up at the top of the Manage Orders page.

On the manage orders page, have batch processing capabilities capabilities as a standard part of the program and you would have the best program on the market.

#15 04-08-2008 08:38:38

Dave

Thanks for your comments.  If I combine what James said with what you said Terry I end up with having the "home" page being configurable.  It's easy enough to have it go to manage orders and I just made it do that smile

#16 04-08-2008 08:41:25

wyattea

That's a good point.  Except when we are setting up the cart, most of the features aren't used regularly.  We don't touch all.css daily when the site goes live (just an example), but if we're getting orders, we'll want to deal with managing orders, etc.

The best option obviously is to be able to pick and choose what your most commonly used features so we can have our own custom menu are but if not, then maybe two interfaces - one that is most commonly used items during cart/site setup, and another when site is live and changes are less likely to be made but managing orders/users is daily.

James...

#17 04-08-2008 09:14:31

Dave

Keep in mind James that what I'm playing with here would only be for people in the admin group (which, I suspect, would usually be store owners).  A member of the superadmin group would get what's there today (a super user needs to be able to see/get to everything no matter what).

#18 04-08-2008 09:31:58

wyattea

I know...I can have an admin login that I use when I'm needing this 'focused-features' (I made that up smile) instead of everything I get with my superadmin login.

#19 05-27-2008 05:31:22

makesachange
Website

OK I like this thread.  It's being more positive than I've been feeling this morning.

The concept of having an admin user interface which picks up on the most commonly used areas is great and would make life simpler for sure.  Making the areas of the cart easier for store users to use is essential.

The comment that Kryptronic has lost sight of its customers is exactly how I feel and is something that could be fairly easily addressed by getting in someone who understands user behaviour, not techie behaviour.  Just like, to use the example above, windows.

Look, I don't have a problem with the way CCP functions generally.  It seems to be robust, fast and reliable.  These are things that I accept is probably not the case with some of its competitors.  However, the interface which makes uploading products and deleting products take so long means that general managing of my store is a real chore and is taking much of the pleasure out of what I do.

Taking a deep breath now and hoping that I can move forward positively...
Emma

Board footer