Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 02-08-2007 16:25:27

elfron2k

namespaces+xhtml includes & horizontal menus

How do I create new namespaces & modify menus, take for example, I want to move the main menu to another position on the in this case the underneath the header and set it up as a horizontal menu instead of a vertical.  The main menu is being generated by "femenus" so i cannot change the coding of the "femenus" namespace without it affecting the other menus.  So how do I create a new namespace called "fehmenus" and then associate the main menu with it?

Best regards,
Steve

#2 02-08-2007 17:10:52

wyattea

Re: namespaces+xhtml includes & horizontal menus

This question is along the same lines as mine - I'd like to do two things - add a new block of code (as a menu block sorta) that lets me displays testimonials (will use 3rd party script) or a completely new menu of my own - but I want the option of having it appear on the left or right and in whatever sort order I want, just like other menus.

The second thing, which I think is much more complicated, is to 'segment' my categories.  I have gift basket, and I'd like to have them sorted by type (e.g. holidays, special days, theme gifts) where each one has a few different categories under them.  I haven't tried them as 'sub-categories' because I didn't think of that until 8 seconds ago smile - anyone know if that's the right direction I should go in?  I don't want them to click on 'holidays' and have all the holidays appear (rather it just appear as a heading in the categories list to sub-divide the categories) but If that's what has to happen, then I can work with that.

Suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

James...

#3 02-08-2007 22:13:28

dh783
Website

You would creat that in the data tables in ccp0_namespaces, create or colne the namespace that you want and name it what you want. Look at whats in the namespace for femenus which will give you an idea how to tie it to a php file.

John

#4 02-09-2007 11:02:53

webmaster
Administrator
Website

You guys just need to add these to your skin using whatever XHTML and CSS you want.  Take a look at the menus used on kryptronic.com - they're all hand coded in the skin and do not use the embedded CCP menu system.

Nick Hendler

#5 02-09-2007 21:51:35

wyattea

Hi Nick, how does this affect the embedded ccp menu system?  I assume we can only put things at the top or bottom of the sidebars since the static code needs to be above or below the references to the menu system in the skin? 

James...

#6 02-12-2007 09:55:06

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Correct.  For our site, we completely disabled the menu system and coded in exactly what we wanted.

Nick Hendler

#7 02-12-2007 10:13:42

webmaster
Administrator
Website

After reviewing a few posts all with the same theme, it has become apparent that users would prefer to be able to edit the base menu system instead of creating their own menus in the skin.  The base menu system was really built for users who don't want to update (or don't know how to update) the skin with their own menus.

That said, in the next update I will include functionality that expands the base menu system to allow you to add links and menus however you like.  Please stay tuned for that update.

Nick Hendler

#8 02-12-2007 12:22:03

wyattea

That's great Nick!

On a side note, a testimonial rotator would have been a great add-in for v6 (I didn't think to suggest it before).  I searched for months trying to find one that basically stored the quote in a db along with name, city, that could easily be placed on a page (e.g. in a sidebar or header of page) and couldn't find anything good (free or paid).  Testimonials are awesome for building trust and conversion (if believed and not obvious fakes).

James...

#9 03-06-2007 03:43:09

ardamis

Hello there,

I think changing the menus to be xhtml includes (if that's in fact what you're doing), is a great idea.

The current skin system, on the whole, is admirably flexible, but it seems that it's a little over-complex, particularly to someone familiar with template systems that have one file for each page, ala WordPress.

I'm trying to develop a skin for a client, and I'm able to do some of this in skin.php and all.css, and other parts in the various xhtml includes, but some of the changes have to be done within the admin panel.  It would be excessively difficult to write code directly into some of these files, such as data_catdisp_0.xml.

Furthermore, these files that control layout are saved in a number of different places.

In all fairness, I suppose that I could edit the code for the various xml files in my local admin panel, then upload all the changed data_foo_0.xml files to the live server, but it still seems like extra steps.

Does the update mentioned in this thread mean that CCP is generally moving toward a simpler template system?

And is there an ETA on this update?

Nick, I've not yet come across a software developer so involved in the support forum while simultaneously working on such substantial improvements to the software.  You're providing an incredible level of service.

-ardamis

#10 03-06-2007 11:22:25

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Does the update mentioned in this thread mean that CCP is generally moving toward a simpler template system?

No.  We're using 100% pure PHP in the includes without the overhead and headaches associated with a template system.  You guys wanted power - you got it.

And is there an ETA on this update?

Nick, I've not yet come across a software developer so involved in the support forum while simultaneously working on such substantial improvements to the software.  You're providing an incredible level of service.

I hope to have it out late this week.  As I am both supporting the software on this forum and offline the update is being done as time allows.  On days with less emails and forum posts more gets done, and the inverse is true on heavier support days.

Nick Hendler

#11 03-06-2007 13:00:40

ardamis

Hey there, and thanks for the quick response.  Seriously, the software support is unequaled.

I'm all for maximum power and flexibility; I've been using XHTML 1.0 Strict for ages and I love PHP.  And the XHTML includes, while one may wonder why they aren't in the /skins/ folder, are easy to work with. 

What throws me is the fact that there's a third element involved with layout, the XML files, that can't be easily edited with Notepad or whatever.  If everything not controlled by skin.php was found in a tidy XHTML include, I'd keep my trap shut.  But when trying to track down what controls layout element-X, I find myself searching the files for snippets of source code - a tag and attribute or something unique - and nothing comes up because that part of the html has been character encoded.  Increasingly tighter searches turn up the responsible XML file, but then there's the matter of finding which page in the admin panel created that part of the XML and editing via the panel.

It's nothing insurmountable, just a higher learning curve than I had expected.

Thanks for the ETA on the update.  Will it be (or is it now) possible to cherry-pick from the menu items?  Say, display only the "Specials" link from the Online Store Menu?

Thanks for your time,

-ardamis

#12 03-06-2007 15:38:55

GoBrushless.com

wyattea wrote:

That's great Nick!

On a side note, a testimonial rotator would have been a great add-in for v6 (I didn't think to suggest it before).  I searched for months trying to find one that basically stored the quote in a db along with name, city, that could easily be placed on a page (e.g. in a sidebar or header of page) and couldn't find anything good (free or paid).  Testimonials are awesome for building trust and conversion (if believed and not obvious fakes).

James...

That would be pretty simple to build with PHP, you know.  I have a small <div> in which I pull, say, the top 5 entries from a separate database we track user kit configurations in.  I plan to do the same for the most recent forum posts.  It's a simple PHP script and it's all styled with CSS and thus completely customizable.

#13 03-06-2007 16:32:31

qmstores
Website

Not sure how common this is, but we have a need to show two sets of categories - one for types of product, the other for brand/manufacturer.

User feedback indicates that some people come looking for something made by a particular company, others browse by function.

It would be neat to have a flag on categories that said "Is Brand?" and then then ability to list these on pages in just the same way as "Show on homepage" categories.

I've coded something like this for my own site; I put brands across the top. But it would be a good feature to add in anyway I think.

#14 03-22-2007 17:37:06

dride33

I have a client that has an online yarn shop.  Her most important category is obviously "Yarns", but has a handful of other main categories.  She wants to list about 20 companies beneath the Yarn main category along the left side of the screen.  I think this mod will accomplish this, since I have the yarn companies set up as subcategories of 'yarns'.  Is this mod close to being released?

BTW, I also echo the compliments by others about the support offered with this cart.  It is a strong reason why I keep coming back.

#15 03-22-2007 19:23:23

steveblueradio
Website

dride33 wrote:

BTW, I also echo the compliments by others about the support offered with this cart.  It is a strong reason why I keep coming back.

This comes up time again, this is a user based / driven community forum, where users off CCP can come together and pool their knowledge, us long timers will try to help as much as possible, but with CCP6, we are still trying to get our heads around this too.

or

I'm Gene Hunt, Your DCI, And it's 1973, Nearly Dinner Time, I'm havin hoops........

Cheers,
Steve
-------------------

#16 03-23-2007 16:40:08

dride33

I'll take that as a 'no'

#17 03-24-2007 16:01:39

grcauto
Website

Nicks working hard to get the version update complete as is evidenced by his not working the forum as of late. One things for sure, he is working on the cart.
As with getting any software complete don't count on a release date, even for version updates. Especially when the update involves many additions and or modifications.

Board footer