Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 01-16-2007 21:21:41

roxie
Website

Check out without creating an account

Is this possible in KHXC? I cannot find a place to change the checkout process anywhere.
Thank you for any insight.
RoxAnne

#2 01-17-2007 09:44:16

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Re: Check out without creating an account

Hello Roxie.  The new checkout does require an account.  The account creation happens on the first checkout page the customer hits and requires only that they enter their email address, billing information and choose a password.  Right behind that their account is created and shipping options are calculated based on their billing address (or default shipping address if they have an address book on file) which gives them quick shipping quotes and an option to ship to another or different locations.  The account creation enables this super-fast checkout process to work - and provides enhanced security for the store.

Additionally, there appears to be perception from customers that the login process in online stores is comforting and fewer stores every day are allowing checkout without it.

Nick Hendler

#3 01-17-2007 11:37:22

GlennMUK

Hi Nick

Eventhough you say the new cart requires an account creation from the purchaser, is there an option in the program to turn it off, if we dont want it?

Sometimes shoppers just like to go on and buy something without feeling like they have to register and create yet another username and password for the web.

Thanks
Glenn

#4 01-18-2007 22:42:21

mrguy

I would be interested in knowing this as well.

We did studies on our current site and found the when we made people sign up, the abandon rate was higher.

I myself can not stand to have to sign up for something when I buy it on the web. I just want to buy it and be done with it.

Is there an easy way to turn this feature off?

#5 01-19-2007 00:21:43

roxie
Website

It doesn't seem that there is an option to turn the account creation off according to Nick's reply.

What if we could give the buyer the option though? Then there would be the best of both worlds.

At checkout the customer could input a password IF they wanted to have an account. Then the data would connected to the account. I for one just had this experience at cabelas.com. I know I have an account, but it's been over a year since I purchased from them. I need something for my truck ASAP and can't remember my password. Rather than wait for the password reset email (which might get trapped by the spam filters and then go through that process) I had the option to checkout without the account. That's exactly what I did.

It makes sense to me. All the information for an order is saved anyway. It's just the password connected to that account/order that makes the difference.

#6 01-19-2007 01:51:36

slydog

I 4th that.

BTW, is there a cancel button in the checkout? -- Customers don't like to feel trapped. I've been on three of the checkout pages so far, two if you go by those two "progress images" that don't count very well (did somebody actually pay for that as a mod in ccp5.1?). I've been busy with other things but haven't noticed a cancel button.

Last edited by slydog (01-19-2007 01:53:00)

#7 01-19-2007 02:51:18

Ian Gore

I 5th this!!

Last edited by Ian Gore (01-19-2007 02:51:30)

#8 01-19-2007 06:31:44

Litemaster
Website

A cancel button with a confirm box would be an asset and after displaying a confirmation acceptance notice returning the client to the shopping cart home page would also be a nice touch rather than leaving them in nowhere land.

#9 01-19-2007 09:39:41

webmaster
Administrator
Website

I'll look into releasing an update that contains checkout without an account - but it may take a while and may not even be doable under the new architecture.  There is so much security built into the order processing and tracking functions in the program that I'm not sure if this can be done or not.  The addition of a cancel button should be easy, though.

The reason we went with an account-based checkout in this version is that it improves security and decreases the number of steps to checkout.  I haven't heard anyone complain that checkout is too long (so that worked) and we have had no security issues reported (so that's good too).  The fact that we're only asking for two additional entries (password & confirm password) and have shipping quotes, sales, discounts and taxes all calculated on the first checkout page automatically is HUGE!

Nick Hendler

#10 01-21-2007 16:32:12

grwolf

A possible work-around:

If you remove the record ccp0.createaccount.password1/2 options in khxc_formfields, the customer only has to enter an email address when checking out. CCP will create a random password for the account.  CCP could send an email to the provided address with the login information.  This way the customer doesn't "feel" like they are registering an account, just filling out a basic payment form.  Also, the customers can always retrieve their randomly generated passwords by clicking 'send password'.

#11 01-21-2007 17:11:04

wyattea

I won't upgrade v5.1 to v6 on my current ccp-based site or add v6 to my other site because of the create account requirement.  That's a deal breaker.  I got past my seo features concerns (after the discussions in the other thread and learning more about it) so I was planning to upgrade the one and buy for the other this month but not this time.  No matter how much Nick thinks it's a good idea and a security improvement, his 'testing' wasn't with real customers in multiple retail spaces (regular repeated purchases vs. never need to buy again), it was with the process (e.g. beta testers aren't customers, they are bug finders or feature reviewers).  Not all customers plan to be regular customers, they are often only planning one purchase due to a current need.

Account based checkout improves security.  Who cares how secure my site is if i have nobody willing to order because their being forced to create an account!  I sell gift baskets - 99.9% of my customers aren't EVER shipping to themselves so shipping quotes is irrelevant to the billing address.  90% of my customers also don't necessarily plan to order again until another event requires it.  They don't think "hey, this is my new regular gift basket supplier!".  Most don't want accounts so I'll just be pissing them off before they've commited to the order.

You want smart?  How about if CCP, after the order is complete, asks the customer if they want to create an account by simply providing a password and nothing else!  Their information's already saved and they've already commited to the order...oops, just read grwolf's suggestion - good idea wink  (Nick - will that work?)

I hope you'll be extending the $179 purchase/$99 upgrade offer past January 31st (to whenever you create the version that doesn't force account creation).

James...

Last edited by wyattea (01-21-2007 17:13:34)

#12 01-22-2007 08:15:52

webmaster
Administrator
Website

We looked into the option of creating the account for the users behind the scenes by choosing their password for them and sending it to them - but that would probably come off as confusing to users who have ordered before, don't remember setting up a password and attempt to use the same email address.  As I said, I'll look into this.  Right now as it stands the program tells them to choose a password so they can track their order - and it is only two extra fields - and adds a lot of security and speed to the entire process.

Nick Hendler

#13 01-22-2007 08:21:39

wyattea

Nick, do you have a test site using ccp6 I that I can run through so I can see the process?  By the way, I didn't get an answer in another thread, am I required to have /ccp0-prodshow/ in my url string for all products?

Regards,

James...

#14 01-22-2007 08:32:59

webmaster
Administrator
Website

You can change the SEO URLs using the info I posted here:

https://forum.kryptronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=15138

As far as the test site, check out the demo here:

https://kryptronic.com/khxc/ccp0-displa … _demo.html

Nick Hendler

#15 01-22-2007 08:59:42

wyattea

Nick, in the demo site, is that the default skin?  I like it smile 

James...

#16 01-22-2007 09:06:14

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Yes, that's the default skin that's shipped with CCP6.

Nick Hendler

#17 01-22-2007 10:14:44

wyattea

Nick, I ran through the checkout, the process is nice, with only the password field added in, but the MAJORITY of my customers are either one time purchasers or only during holidays and they'll never remember their password (unless they only use one for everything they do).  I already require an email address to email the receipt and a full billing address for the credit card processing, so getting that information won't be an additional annoying step.

I can change the text and reference the password as being needed so that they have the option of logging in and checking their tracking information but those customers who don't remember their password, or remember having an account, when they enter their email and a different password, suddenly they'll be blocked and be required to try again or retrieve their password and possibly abandon the cart.

What about an option that if the user enters the wrong password, the options are to try again or create a new account overwriting the previous account (basically overwrite the old account with a new one - I assume the account 'primary key' is the email address), which will essentially create a new account for them.  It'll prevent them from seeing their old orders but it could fix the abandonment issue.

This just reminded me of another issue.  I have customers who, using the same email address, order under different names/billing addresses.  Secretaries who order for their boss but they get the receipt.  Then they order for another boss in the office so the name changes but they're still getting the email receipt.  Also, I have bosses order who use their personal card and business card depending on the type of order (personal/business) and the billing address will change depending on whether it's a personal cc or a biz cc.

so many issues...smile

James...

#18 01-22-2007 10:20:54

webmaster
Administrator
Website

You can't really overwrite accounts.  What's to stop someone from overwriting your account versus their own?  I'll look into this and see what I can come up with.  For now (until I can figure something else out) we've got two extra fields on the form, a quicker checkout and enhanced security.  I will look into checkouts without accounts - probably by not creating an account at all - a quick order option - but that will probably require a huge update to CCP.  We'll see where and if I can fit it in.

Nick Hendler

#19 04-02-2007 18:46:56

andyM

I too agree that it would make more sense to create the account automatically on behalf of the client, and send them a random password. This way they wouldn't have to go create an account first, and instead details like email would be a part of the normal order process. It has to be said i really don't like that part of ccp6 sad Everything else is cool smile

Plus shouldn't the nav image be:

1/ create/login account
2/create order
3/ review and pay

#20 04-02-2007 19:11:03

wyattea

A large percentage of our customers are only one-time orders so the automatic create an account and send random password would be great.  Those who never order again don't care, those who order again can have the password sent to them automatically (if they try an existing account email).

James...

#21 04-16-2007 20:07:53

gbailey

I whole heartedly agree that the password "problem" built into this new release is a major concern. I was really looking forward to the new version and all it brings, but with the forced login, it's a no go.

I migrated years ago from a cart that demanded logins and we had nothing but trouble with them. Once we got rid of that requirement, a lot of issues went away.

In addition, this forced information violates every split test and best practice that is geared to squeezing every ounce of conversion out of a site. Preventing abandonment is crucial and my experience and every test I have seen and run to attempt to improve that would indicate this as a bad move.  :-(

Sorry, I wish this wasn't so, but conversion rates are king.

#22 05-04-2007 10:48:44

bobbyd

I agree with removal of the required account creation. 

On a personal note,  I don't shop at online stores that force me to create an account (unless I really need/want the item from that site).  It is like going to Macy's and they demand I sign up for a Macy's card or I can't buy anything.   It should be optional, even if it takes a long time to upgrade.

Last edited by bobbyd (05-04-2007 10:57:44)

#23 05-04-2007 19:06:38

bamabots

I saw one cart where the username was the email address and then they just typed in the order number to track their package.  That seemed like a good idea  Any thoughts???????

#24 09-04-2007 12:01:24

yaniv

Please take a look at http://www.wickedshoe.com checkout process.  Basically you still need to create an account but the client don't know he is doing it.  We removed the password field but left everything else.  I believe that none of the other fields are required except the email field so basically you can shorten the account creation to just include the email field if you wanted to.

Yaniv Zahavi,
http://www.Intermakers.com web solutions.

#25 09-04-2007 17:29:03

wyattea

So what happens?  What password is created for them?  I understand they can request it be sent to them but what is in place that first time?  If someone found out the default that everyone has, they could log into anyone's account?

James...

Board footer