Kryptronic Software Support Forum

You are viewing this forum as a guest. Login to an existing account, or create a new account, to reply to topics and to create new topics.

#1 01-30-2003 20:10:45

justme
Website

Store Shop as Main page

How do I get the Main/splash page of my site to be the main page without using a re-direct which I don't know how to do?

Heidi

#2 01-31-2003 00:35:35

altmedic

Re: Store Shop as Main page

Unless you delete it, the Splash will be the page that your customers will open to.  It is located in HTML Pages & Elements/Manage HTML System Pages/update Splash page.  Type or paste in any content you want to open with.  The Splash page uses the HTML Site Layout, so any menus, headers, etc., that are in the Site Layout will be on every page, including the Splash page.  If you want products to show up on the Splash page, when you program the product entries in Store Catalog/Manage Products, click that they will appear on the Splash page.  You can change how they are displayed, too.

#3 01-31-2003 10:56:07

Heidi is asking how to get visitors to her site to be directed to the shopping cart rather than an index page with a redirect to the cart.

The redirect is the only method that I know of without monkeying with the servers config files.  Is there a way to do a redirect with an .htaccess file?

#4 01-31-2003 12:18:19

BooBoo
Website

You can also add the domainname of the main site as an alias to the shopping cart site.  I am currently doing this with two other sites that we host.  I did not physically create the site, wwwl-f-l.com.  I simply add this domain name to wwwlaptopsforless.com, an existing site.  Whenever you type in wwwl-f-l.com, you go to wwwlaptopsforless.com.

However, you may want to be careful of search engines or indexes as this can cause you to lose rankings.

Why force them into your shopping cart anyway?  I would rather see a site and then when I am ready to purchase, go to the shopping site.

--
Keith Roberts
IT Manager
Laptops For Less, Inc
keith@getadeal.com
<a href="http://www.laptopsforless.com">Your source for laptop batteries, pda batteries, digital camera batteries, cell phone batteries, and accessories</a>

#5 01-31-2003 13:17:20

justme
Website

Ok, since it doesn't seem possible, could someone tell me where I can get a re-direct that would be easy for a dummy to do?

Heidi

#6 02-01-2003 02:40:48

webmaster
Administrator
Website

Look in your install file in:

./ccp5

or

./ccp5/admin

Redirects are nothing more than HTML pages with META-REFRESH tags in them.

Nick Hendler
Webmaster, Kryptronic, Inc.

Nick Hendler

#7 05-07-2003 23:59:46

Create a empty index.htm
then put the following in it.

<HTML>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=/cgi-bin/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi">

</HTML>

Change the URL with ur own.

#8 06-13-2003 16:35:20

Jack

This is still a little unclear to me...

What folder does the index.htm or index.html (does the extension make a difference?) go in?

That still seems to call the Welcome splash page, ste_site.

When cp-app.cgi kicks off, I want it to call ste_store, and bypass ste_site. I want ste_site completely disabled.

Nick, in upgrades, it would be excellent to put a "Disable welcome page?" field in the Admin area, e.g. in the Welcome splash admin screen.

Meanwhile, what's the "workaround"?

From a marketing standpoint (my opinion), the welcome page is just an extra page that slows down the buyer's ability to click the credit card process button.

Do I have to comment out cp-app.cgi's call to ste_site?

If so, what's the safest way of doing that?

I also need to comment out the links on other pages back to the Welcome page.

Thanks!
Jack
En route to the Two-Click Holy Grail...

#9 06-13-2003 18:24:48

WayneK
Website

<font size="1" color="#FF0000">LAST EDITED ON 06-13-03 AT 07:27 PM (EST)</font><p>Maybe replace the contents of ste_splash with ste_store

index.htm or .html goes in your public/www directory

But I have to agree that having customers enter the store is better. I do that so that I have static html pages for spiders to crawl as many won't crawl dynamic pages, especially those with long url's

- Wayne
<-- Witty Clever Phrase Goes Here -->

#10 06-13-2003 20:31:41

Todd
Website

Jack,

It's probably best to create a static html page that looks just like the rest of your store.  From the static page you can link to various parts of the store but once at the store the links on those pages would not link back to your html page but rather only to the store.

As stated earlier, it is much better to have a static html page as your front page for search engine reasons.  You do not have to link to the splash page within your cart.  You can link to just the store page by using http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?pg=store.  The splash page is completely optional if you make a custom html front page.

If you need any help... email me

webmaster @ nevadawebsite dot com

there's more than one way to...

#11 06-16-2003 16:57:16

Jack

Todd, thanks very much for the very detailed suggestions!

I will apply these and post the results to this thread. And I greatly appreciate your kind offer of additional assistance...

Very best regards,
Jack

#12 06-16-2003 17:09:21

Jack

Ok, time for a few questions...

>Jack,
>
>It's probably best to create a
>static html page that looks
>just like the rest of
>your store.

What do I call this page, and in what folder do I store it?
I cannot put it in my root domain as index.html because of course, that is the address of the home page to my entire website.

>  From the
>static page you can link
>to various parts of the
>store

By using the format:
>http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?pg=store-or-whatever-pagename

??

If so, where do I find the page names (as you mentioned in this example: "store"... what do I use for example to show the cart, or whatever?

> but once at the
>store the links on those
>pages would not link back
>to your html page but
>rather only to the store.

I assume if I knew where to look I could hard code them to go back to that main page, or would that screw up the cookie/shopping cart item tracking?
>
>As stated earlier, it is much
>better to have a static
>html page as your front
>page for search engine reasons.

Ok. My main concern though is to reduce the total number of pages a buyer has to wade through to actually complete the sale. The default design has about 5 too many screens that are reducing my sales volume significantly.

> You do not have
>to link to the splash
>page within your cart. 

How do I avoid doing so?

>You can link to just
>the store page by using
>http://www.example.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?pg=store.

Where do I use this link, besides as the call from my main website, instead of http://www.mydomain.com/cc5p

Am I understanding that correctly, or could I call it "index.html" and put it in the ccp5 folder?

>  The splash page
>is completely optional if you
>make a custom html front
>page.
>
>If you need any help... email
>me
>
>webmaster @ nevadawebsite dot com

Thanks!
JJ

#13 06-18-2003 00:41:46

webmaster
Administrator
Website

In your root web directory (www, httpdocs, htdocs, webshare, whatever) place an index.htm file that points to your location of cp-app.cgi with the variable pg=store.  Example:

<HTML>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=/cgi-bin/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?pg=store">

</HTML>

This will jump past the splash page and go right to the store.

Nick Hendler
Webmaster, Kryptronic, Inc.

Nick Hendler

Board footer